Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

air con not working

with all this nice warm weather on the way i tried my aircon.......................long wait...............nothing.....

i sat in the car park this morning playing with it and i couldnt even hear the engine note changing when i pressed the button???

however, when i pressed the 'MAX' button i can hear the flap moving about so at least i know that button is working..

what things can i check or do i need to take to a garage??

apologies if i have asked this before... im having a bad day and i cant remember

the belt is the big long one that runs everything so surely if it was the belt, then nothing would be working, altanator, power steering etc...??

also, if it was just a fact it needed regassing, surely the engine would still change speed, just not get cold???

im just guessing though, i dont actually know....

ALTHOUGH, it was definately working when i got the car cause i tested it and you could hear the engine change speed and the cold came through

Sounds like it's electronic related rather than mechanical. I don't know anything about air-con I'm afraid, other than that it spreads viruses around offices all day long :roll:

When you start the Air Con the magnetic clutch on the compressor should engage and the engine revs should increase to compensate for the extra load on the engine. In your case the clutch is not engaging so it sounds like either a fuse is blown or the system is low on pressure and the low pressure switch is preventing the clutch engaging. I would take it to garage and get them to check the system pressure, be prepared to pay about £50 or more to top it up.

:roll:

Ive got a Storm with air con and mine once stopped working. All it turned out to be was a fuse. The fuse in question is the one located in the engine bay on the right side of the engine with Diavra written on it. I find it strange that some people dont like air con. Mine has been fantastic and is a life saver in the mid summer weather especially as I have a black interior. I used to have a dark blue Corrado 16v with no air con and got stuck in traffic on the M11 on a scorching day. A very unpleasant experience believe me! I dont even notice similar incidents with air con.

Dave.

If you havn't run it for a long time the Air con gas will leak through the seals in the compressor, this is becasue the oil in the system doesn't flow through it, the seal then dries out and it leaks, get the pressure checked and go from there!

Ive got a Storm with air con and mine once stopped working. All it turned out to be was a fuse. The fuse in question is the one located in the engine bay on the right side of the engine with Diavra written on it. I find it strange that some people dont like air con. Mine has been fantastic and is a life saver in the mid summer weather especially as I have a black interior. I used to have a dark blue Corrado 16v with no air con and got stuck in traffic on the M11 on a scorching day. A very unpleasant experience believe me! I dont even notice similar incidents with air con.

Dave.

A/C is all very nice when it works but like other mechanical bits it also needs maintained......which unless you've had A/C on the car since new or know who had the car before and knew that they had kept "on-top of it" maintanence-wise to me its just another thing to go wrong(usually expensively :shock: :shock: :roll: )......i know ive been bitten by A/C before :roll: :shock: :shock: .......like paying £400-ish to have a compressor clutch replace on my 944 turbo :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Could be leak in system - system needs to be checked out otherwise you could need re-gassing every few weeks. Needs vacuum pump to draw down to near perfect vacuum and carry out "holding" test