BEGBIE

Starting problems - possibly alarm related

Hi, went to start my 95M VR6 after it had been sitting in the drive for the last month waiting to go for a new cat, service and MoT, but it wouldn't start. When turning the ignition on the fuel pump relay is clicking like mad and I can also hear the fuel pump coming on and off and also, sometimes, what I think is the starter motor very briefly trying to come on (as I say, it's clicking really fast). I don't have the factory fitted immobiliser on there anymore, but I do have a clifford 650 mk2. The clifford seems to be arming and disarming okay. I'd really appreciated advice on what it might be. I was due to take her to the garage tomorrow to finally get her back on the road, so I'm gutted she's still sitting in the drive.

Btw, tried an old 190 relay and it did the same thing. Worried it might be the ECU :/

Don't want to be alarmist (doh!) but I have just had to replace ecu on my 1995 VR6. It was the last item in the long chain of investigation after replacing relays, etc. They are 17 years old now and expert advice indicates they are expected to fail.

Thanks Craig, yeah I read your previous post before posting my own. I'm hoping it's not the ECU - a bit weird that the relay is chattering the way it is. I'm going to have a chat with a guy how installs Cliffords daily to see if he has ever come across this, otherwise it'll need to go in the garage. Shame I live so far from Stealth. Would love to just drop it off there and have them sort it...

I might try disconnecting the battery to reset the car. Anyone got experience of that working?

Yes, I did that when the new ecu had the car running a bit lumpy. Look up wikipedia or google. The technique worked on mine.

You have to start the car first though and let it idle to working temp. disconnect the battery for about 20 mins, reconnect, turn key to 1st position for a few minutes then start and go for varied run of several miles.

Cant confirm this 100% so check 1st. Dont know what you do if car wont even start 1st, though!

Thanks, I've had to do the reset before as well (had my C for 12 years). Method I used was to. Warm it up before hand so that I could cane it immediately after reconnecting the battery. Trouble is that I can't get the car started at all. If I manage to get her up and running I may reset her again once warmed... I'll let you know how I get on.

You're fairly close to Star Performance - have you ever used them? Any good?