daniboy1_2_3

Machine polishing advice

Sounds a reasonable explanation, fair enough. Obviously different products can be easier/harder to remove, and its also dependant on temperatures/sunlight if you are doing it outdoors, and how long you leave the product to bond before buffing. I generally read reviews before buying new waxes or sealants, and would probably avoid using ones that can be particularly difficult to remove. Again I'm not trying to be patronising, just posting my thoughts for the good of the thread and for anyone reading.

i have messed around with all types of polishes, from cheap stuff to expensive stuff, and i have to say the only polish i will use is the Meguiars 105 (for cutting) and the 205 (for finishing) its easily the easiest to use, it does not powder up like the Menzerna polishes can do, and depending on the pad your using the variable amount of cut/finish you can achieve with each polish is incredible. And the finish you can achieve with 205 and a finishing pad is like glass.

Buy some, you wont regret it.

ive got to second the vote for Meguiars Ultimate compound, it really is so easy to use and the finish is like glass, ive just done my mums Alfa with it (black car = lots of cleaning in the countryside!) its come up looking amazing!!

this time i used it neat with no water at all, mainly because there was an official Meguiars detailing guide in the back of PVW a few months ago and that was how their official detailer guy was using the product, was dubious initially but it just buffs off with a microfibre cloth and no need to wash before the seal/wax stage

I ve used a ton of cutting compounds in the past, and always used them with water but they were the more aggressive/corse compounds so maybe that is a good idea, also those will make the panel hotter as they are cutting more! also on that note, the Utlimate Compound is so fine that it is kind of idiot proof in terms of not leaving swirls or going through your lacquer on the edges of panels!! im using a very expensive polisher (festool) which is lovely but not essential, can achieve excellent results with something more basic, my advice would be to turn the speed right down and go carefully always moving the head across the panel.

before anyone says....i know that is a super basic approach/explanation but its not aimed at the pros out there, as i think has already been mentioned there is plenty of good info on detailing world and other sites should you really want to get into it!!

---------- Post added at 1:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:40 PM ----------

oh just to add, Kip you will get good results on your rear lights with the ultimate compound (have done this myself)

like you said though, have a go on you daily first!

ive got to second the vote for Meguiars Ultimate compound, it really is so easy to use and the finish is like glass, ive just done my mums Alfa with it (black car = lots of cleaning in the countryside!) its come up looking amazing!!

this time i used it neat with no water at all, mainly because there was an official Meguiars detailing guide in the back of PVW a few months ago and that was how their official detailer guy was using the product, was dubious initially but it just buffs off with a microfibre cloth and no need to wash before the seal/wax stage

I ve used a ton of cutting compounds in the past, and always used them with water but they were the more aggressive/corse compounds so maybe that is a good idea, also those will make the panel hotter as they are cutting more! also on that note, the Utlimate Compound is so fine that it is kind of idiot proof in terms of not leaving swirls or going through your lacquer on the edges of panels!! im using a very expensive polisher (festool) which is lovely but not essential, can achieve excellent results with something more basic, my advice would be to turn the speed right down and go carefully always moving the head across the panel.

before anyone says....i know that is a super basic approach/explanation but its not aimed at the pros out there, as i think has already been mentioned there is plenty of good info on detailing world and other sites should you really want to get into it!!

---------- Post added at 1:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:40 PM ----------

oh just to add, Kip you will get good results on your rear lights with the ultimate compound (have done this myself)

like you said though, have a go on you daily first!

You are spot on there mate especially regarding not having to wash after using it the ultimate compound is very good for doing thing's quickly and still getting very good result's also regarding speed you are spot on just let the buffer glide with very little if any pressure and you can't go wrong well done that man (and a fellow R32 owner to boot):salute: