JimVR6

Knock from ns rear

Getting a slight knock from the nearside rear and just wondering if anybody had any ideas on what it might be? Fairly quiet and doesn't seem to affect the handling, just a gentle knocking every now and again.

Thanks.

I seem to have a similar symptom. For a long time I thought the knock comes from within the drivers door. But stripped the door over last weekend and nothing in there. So I am thinking it comes from behind rather than side.

I can replicate it usually when slowly going forward (on neutral) and then braking to stop (not aggressively just normal stop). Also seem to happen when, accelerating or going over a pothole. Not always tho. I had rear bushes replaced few months ago + front bushes and top mounts, also front shocks etc... so I am bit worried as to what could be causing it.

Also, handling of the car seem not to be affected at all. Not sure.. will be taking it to garage on Friday I think - it seems over time it got worse.

Doesn't seem to be the exhaust to be honest, its not metallic, more of a thud. I don't know when the rear bushes were done to be honest, could be original for all I know!

Handbrake cable flapping? One of the mounts that attaches it to the rear axle fell off mine and it now makes a clonking noise on rough road surfaces that cuts out on smooth tarmac. Need to get an OEM mount in as cable ties can't quite hold it in the right place :(

Stone

Second vote for the exhaust. I use to get this on mine, more so when turning left..... sounds a bit like you've got someone tied up in the boot and they're having a kick trying to get out! Or at least that's what someone told me it sounded a bit like, ahem....

M.

Id say it was the exhaust also.

Lucas - your issue sounds like the one i had. Which, IIRC was the pads moving in the caliper slightly. When i rolled up to a junction i used to get one definate knock from the rear, like one clank from the rear. New pads and it disappeared. Had it for ages with no effect.

Not that I know of, although Its been a while since I've checked the boot...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Had the car up the other day and the exhaust heat shield was hanging on by like two bolts, so I presumed it was bouncing up and hitting the chassis. Put some replacements on but its still knocking. Car is lowered although not by a huge amount. Could it be the rear axle bushes? They are really torn up and look really perished so wonder if it could also be that.

Go to an exhaust centre and have them make up an extra bracket for the exhaust. Mine started doing it the day input the coilovers on lol.