jpowell79

Alternator belt swap advice

Hi guys,

My car started squealing at me on Sunday afternoon, and stupidly I carried on driving to get to work on Monday. Anyhow on the way home last night the alternator belt snapped and I lost my power steering (just as I was approaching some narrow lane bollards!)

Managed to get home, but now need to swap the belt.

The thing is, do I also need to swap out the tensioner? Presumably because of the squealing it was making, it means a bearing has gone in the tensioner?

In terms of the tensioner itself, do I need to just swap out the round thingy - http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/475570325/Auto_Tensioner_Pulley_074145278E_For_BUS_CORRADO.jpg_250x250.jpg

or do I need the entire tensioner unit? - http://www.autohausaz.com/secure/PartImages/021145299C.jpg

cheers. - Also just to confirm, do I have to have a 7-rib belt, because the belt thats snapped looks quite thin. Do I need to replace both belts?

Edited by jpowell79

If you are replacing the tensioner it comes as a whole unit - you can replace the bearings individually but it's quite a job - there's a how-to in the wiki.

The ribs need to match what's on your pulleys. I wouldn't replace the tensioner just yet - try the belt on it's own first.

thanks. I've ordered a new belt, tensioner and v-belt for good measure. Like you say I might not need the tensioner, but I guess sticking a new one it can only be a good thing seeing as its never been replaced and the car is on 162k miles

Actually replacing the bearing isn't that big a deal. I'm pretty crap at spanner work but I replaced mine and it wasn't a chore - the only chore in the end was finding a place to just sell me the bearing. I found some random engineering company in Redditch who posted me one out, and changing it was straightforward.

Slacken off the auxiliary belt and remove the tensioner, and unbolt the pulley from the tensioner. The bearing can only come out of the pulley one way, but in order to get it out you need to trim the plastic lip out which is keeping it sealed in. Once that's out the way (took me about 20 minutes with a stanley knife) simply push the bearing out (I used an appropriately sized socket, in a vice) and then do the same to push the new bearing in. Then installation is the reverse of removal as they say in the Haynes manual. The whole thing took me about 1.5 hours and, as I say, I'm pants with the spanners and had never done the job before so was just going off information on here :)

The pulley has been fitted to the car now for a couple of years since doing the work and I've not run into any problems with my DIY job :)

This is the bearing you need if anyone fancies DIY'ing it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ball-bearing-6203-2RS1-W1-04609-S-K-F-/271098321718?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Washing_Machines_Dryers_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item3f1eb81b36

I swear that's the same bearing (6203) that I just changed on my washing machine :lol:

Edited by davidwort