jpowell79

am I being a div? how many belts on my VR6?

Ok so my car was squealing like a pig for a couple of days then my power steering stopped and when I opened the bonnet I found a shredded belt.

I was looking on ebay for parts to order (got a tensioner to stop the squealing) and thought I needed two belts.

I thought the VR6 had one belt which is the alternator belt, and another belt with is for the PAS and water pump.

Am I right, is there two belts or just a single belt?

the reason I ask is because I bought two belts.....and now they've arrived I could swear they are identical!

Same size, same width, same number of ribs.

this is what I bought -

this one as the alternator belt - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200680058428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

this one I bought for the PAS/water pump belt - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170794856732?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

are these not the same belt? or is there two belts that should be different? Am I being a complete numpty??

any help appreciated!

There is only one belt on the VR6. But there is two types for the vr6 all depends if you have air con or not. The air con belt is longer. Mine does not have air con and if your is the same. I purchased the continental one from Euro car parts which is the OEM part for the VR6. Look at my build thread on this link for the part number etc and fitting instructions.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?48846-VWVW-Still-Enjoying-the-VR/page7&highlight=vwvw

PS If you are buying of eurocarpart they are offering 30% off using code midmonth30 when you go to the check out.

Edited by VWVW

:lol: yup, youve just bought 2 1290mm belts! Aux drive belt does everything on the VR's, 16vs have seperate power steering/aux belts.

I bought one recently from gsf and for some reason they gave me a double ribbed belt first time round.

Second time got the same one as yours, takes minutes to fit.

so I swapped the belt and tensioner last night.....took me just under an hour in total, which included 30 minutes just to fiddle about getting the belt round the lower cogs from underneath! anyone who said it takes 5 minutes is fibbing! :-)

Although to be fair, the car wasn't jacked up at all, and if I had to do it again, I would insist on jacking the car up, and probably then its a 15-20 minute job.