ray_vr6

LCD Display

Hi

The LCD display on my 1990 16v is being very erratic it its output - i.e. the numbers are sometimes missing parts of their make up so for instance 8 will appear as 3 or 5. Is the LCD unit in the cluster interchangeable and if so has anyone got a knackered cluster I could cannibalise?

Thanks

I too need one of these, after I was a tremendous idiot and shorted something which blew it a couple of weeks ago :(

Hopefully there's a stash of them somewhere we can use!

You could take the whole thing apart and replace the LCD and the board it's soldered too, but if it's a non-digital trip/mileage early clocks set then a complete instrument cluster shouldn't be much second hand, to broaden the search a passat unit will work too, although 8v cars will have different rev counter modules, which could be swapped.

I don't think we are talking Digifiz. I believe the problem our man has is with the LCD portion of the instrument display, ie MFA and mileage/trip

16vG60 - is right it is the LCD potion - managed to get a gauge pod of ebay for 99p but strangley the guy is reluctant to complete the sale!

So I've just got back from a work trip to a complete set of clocks waiting for me on my desk. My question now is, since I just need to swap the LCD module over is this a reasonably easy thing to do? Anyone have a link to a guide for dismantling the module the clocks are in without breaking everything? :)

Or, I could just put the whole thing in my car instead - but the mileage is wrong (about 20k too high). What would be my options to fix that?

Finally, I'm thinking I might look into swapping the incandescent bulbs in the module over to white LEDs or similar - does anyone have any pointers on that?

Wow, shocked there aren't a million people answering these questions. So the LCD Is surprisingly easy you remove the main bezel and there are two white pinch clips ( one on top left and bottom right). Remove from cluster ( this is easier if you remove the speedo, three screws. Unscrew two screws on back of gauge face, remove gauge face and take pliers and bend 4 metal tabs straight for the LCD remove and don't forget the order you pulled everything out in[ATTACH=CONFIG]72030[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72031[/ATTACH]

Yep - found that out when I did do mine - I was waiting till I put evrything back to make sure it all works before I posted up a reply

Well I swapped the LCD unit but the the reading is still fragmented! - I may have been unlucky and just got another faulty one but can anyone think of another reason for the problem?

Yep - took it all apart again and ensured the LCD unit connection was properly seated. But since then the mpg reading has been at 99.9 (being trying to resolve that since then!!)

Edited by ray_vr6