Critical_Mass

Preparing for winter :-/

Hi all,

Well the corrado is off the road for the winter. Unfortunately the garage i have is full of stuff, so there's no room for the C. It looks like it'll have to just stay on the drive all winter, handbrake off, battery out....

Is there anything else i can do. I seem to be getting a lot of condenstion (quite large water droplets actually) on the inside of the windscreen - i suspect the sunroof seal, but not sure. I have a silicone egg thing in the car to try absorb any water inside the car cabin.

Im also looking at getting a car cover and was thinking this one http://spoonfedtuning.myshopify.com/collections/corrado/products/corrado-car-cover after reading about it on here.

Do SpoonFed deliver to the UK?

If not, what other cover would you recommend for the C, ideally one that also covers the wheels - i want to help keep water from the brakes.

Cheers

Gaz

Car cover isn't a bad shout. You can also get small standalone dehumidifiers which basically take these sorts of crystal refills from places like Wilko... like a shoebox sized plastic box thing. Absorbs the moisture in the air and collects it. The crystals need changing and the water needs tipping out reasonably often depending on the amount of moisture in the air, but they're not mega money...

drop the fuel level as low as possible. Overinflate the tyres if it will be standing to avoid flat spots. Take it for a good drive to clear out any moisture. Spray the brakes with hairspray (i kid you not - a tip from the guru RW1!!) these will prevent rusting of the disc surfaces. Wipe all seals with vaseline to prevent them sticking or becoming brittle. Lube the locks, hinges and other moving parts.

how much do you want to spend?, tailored fit corrado ones are available but you'll be looking at 100-200 quid, the cheap (lightly lined) elasticated job with a zip door and vents I bought from Amazon is good value at less than £50 but not big enough to fully cover all 4 wheels.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?12282-davidwort-s-16v-and-8v-car-cover-and-wheel-painting/page19

Edited by davidwort

Cheers guys, ill get one of those dehumidifiers from Wilkos - cheers Jim.

Hasan - good tip about the vasoline. I also read RW1 mentioned hairspray- has to be the firm hold apparently. I'll spray the rears - the fronts will be changed when it goes back on the road as they're warped anyway.

Fuel is as low as i dare let it go without running out on a drive.

David - i liked the look of the one on SpoonFed, as its specifc to the corrado and covers the wheels - to help protect the brakes. But not sure if SpoonFed deliver to the UK.. doesnt suggest so on the site and even if they did it would prob cost a fortune.

I'd be willing to spend up to £150.. though if there's one for say £50 thats just as good as one at £150 then makes sense to get the £50 one.

Any recommendations - again ideally one that covers the wheels.

I bought a fairly heavy duty cover for mine and it work well but if the wind gets up it does try and escape. I like the look of the Sealy one. Dehumidifier is a must, I remember storing my brothers Mk2 years ago and it was mouldy as a bugger after a while and the smell would not go away.

David, that one looks spot on. Even covers the wheels. Though prob could do with some eyelets putting in it to tie it down.

You can buy those metal eye lets that i assume just press together, would it be easy enough to pierce a hole and attached the eyelets?

Unless of course it does indeed stay put in winds.

Edited by Critical_Mass

it fits pretty well, but I found some clip on eyelets (amazon or e-bay) that don't make a hole and can be repositioned that you could use to stop the sides moving at all in heavy wind.

the zip door opening on the side is very handy!

Oh, and screwed up newspaper changed evey now and then is just as effective as water absorbing crystals :)

Edited by davidwort

it fits pretty well, but I found some clip on eyelets (amazon or e-bay) that don't make a hole and can be repositioned that you could use to stop the sides moving at all in heavy wind.

the zip door opening on the side is very handy!

Oh, and screwed up newspaper changed evey now and then is just as effective as water absorbing crystals :)

Cool may take a look. Need to get ordered really before winter sets in even more. Problem i have is that its sorn, so cant take it for a spin now. I did before it was SORN'd but didnt have a cover to put over it immediately. May give it a wash and dry it before hand.

Think it'll be ok? I can run the engine up to temp to get water out of the exhaust etc. Just the brakes wont be able to be warmed up with use.

Screwed up paper you say.... hmmm.

Oh and does anyone know the length of the Corrado off the top of their head, saves me measuring it. Just wondering if a med or large would be needed or maybe a small depending on the make

What about this one - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_565257_langId_-1_categoryId_165611#tab1

Edited by Critical_Mass

yes, the corrado is 10mm shorter than the medium cover (max length) I bought from Amazon, so C is 4050mm long, that came from a spec-sheet/tech drawing on the C somewhere, think I just did a google search TBH.

yes, the corrado is 10mm shorter than the medium cover (max length) I bought from Amazon, so C is 4050mm long, that came from a spec-sheet/tech drawing on the C somewhere, think I just did a google search TBH.

May just go for that one then. Along with these clips... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ASPKYK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=AYMOJ7X4RXSWI and these cords - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ROF4O6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A22YOGCNS7K0TM

yeah, that was the clips I was looking at, the halfords covers seem fairly good quality too, the sealey one isn't really multiple layer, it's just got a sort of thin felty underside so better than plastic.

Yeah thats whats making me think twice. The Halfords ones are multi-layered unlike that one. But how well will it fit, compared to the Sealey one.. thats the question?

Also then the sealey one has a handy zip top get access to the doors.

Tough choice :lol:

Edited by Critical_Mass

Spoonfed do deliver to the uk last time I checked and delivery wasn't unreasonable, they were even willing to mark the item as a gift to avoid unnecessary duty costs etc (arrange this with them before hand).

Would be great to wrap my C up for winter but with no drive / garage at the moment - not gonna happen. A fiend of the family uses these (see below) on his cars but then he really loves his cars!

http://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-double-skin-outdoor/outdoor-carcoon-size-3

Firm Hold Fla! None of the floppy stuff.

Add couple other things as its storing outside. Take the steering wheel off and put in the house somewhere. Bit hard to move it if some one gets in. Plus, handbrake off, choc the wheels secuely and in 1st gear or reverse (so the engine turns the normal way depending if its on a slope.).

and in 1st gear or reverse (so the engine turns the normal way depending if its on a slope.).

Out of interest why is that? why, mine is facing up hill on the drive and ive left it in first? wheels are chocked.

lol RW1!

essentially so that the engine turns in the right direction if there is any torque on it from being in gear - if the car is facing downhill, put it in first, if uphill put it in reverse. If the wheels are also chocked, you shouldnt have any probs at all.

Edited by fla

yeah, that was the clips I was looking at, the halfords covers seem fairly good quality too, the sealey one isn't really multiple layer, it's just got a sort of thin felty underside so better than plastic.

David - received the cover. However it says on the cover packaging not to leave it on the car for more than 3 days without taking it off to allow condensation evaporate? Did you have to remove it every 3 days?

My ex's uncle used to overwinter his Testarossa with a cover on and a 10kg tub of rice in the back to absorb the moisture. Apparently it worked a treat (stir the rice occasionally to allow the dry stuff to the top) and was dead cheap to replace...

Stone

My ex's uncle used to overwinter his Testarossa with a cover on and a 10kg tub of rice in the back to absorb the moisture. Apparently it worked a treat (stir the rice occasionally to allow the dry stuff to the top) and was dead cheap to replace...

Stone

Ah will give that a go. :) 10kg though!!!

I do the same thing with my golf maybe not quite 10kg, oh and very soft J cloths for the mouse so he/she will leave my seats alone this year :mad: the little s%&" is immune to poison

Ah will give that a go. :) 10kg though!!!

Yeah he was a lazy sod and hated removing the cover in winter! Less would probably be fine if you changed it every month or so...

You can even bake it to get the moisture back out, he could never be bothered to do that either :lol: