Sign in to follow this  
clivecorrado

G60 struggles under 4000 revs - help...

My G60 is pretty gutless under 4000 revs, but get it over 4k and it flies!!! It seems to be running rich as the plugs are sooty and I suspect it may be down to the lambda probe. Anybody had similar problems or agree on the Lambda probe??? If so, could you give me a step by step guide to replacing the blighter.

Thanks.

Try disconnecting the probe, drive around a little, possibly a little hard as well, to clear out all the crud inside of your engine, and see whether it make a difference. It did on mine, where the probe had gone. :D

Tempest

also check the vacuum hose from the throttle body to the ECU... it is vital that this is in perfect condition and is exactly 1 meter long else the engine will run along the lines you describe.... :?

Mine was the same, but I knew it was not any of the above - turned out the temp sender housing had been leaking and had sprayed water onto the king lead - the water had then run down onto the distributor and killed the end of the king lead and the plug hole for it on the dizzy cap.

Also, when checking the vac hoses - make sure the 2 on the throttle body are on the right way round. IIRC (and i will check) the one to the ECU goes on the nipple that is perpendicular to the tb, the one to the carbon cansiter valve goes on the nipple that sticks out the throtte boday at an angle.

check or change your blue coolent sensor, these are inexpensive and when they go it tricks the ecu into thinking the car is always cold, so it's too rich at low revs but when you floor it it picks up fine. also check timing,

Well...broke down last night and it seems like the ignition coil has packed in. There's 12v going to the ignition coil at both connectors, yet I'm not getting a spark from the beast. I've checked the voltage at the hall sender end and it's only 6v, so I'm hoping this is the culprit. Ignition coil's only £15.75 from EuroCarParts and it's on the shelf so I'll be investing in one later today. Thanks for your help, I'll be back on here over the weekend if the cars still running shite!!!

Clive, a coil will have 12V on both sides of it with the ign on and the engine not running. The ECU supplies an earth to one side, the intermittent earth controlled by the ECU causes the sparks.

Personally, I think you will be wasting money on the coil!!

When your car cut out how long had it been running? If the engine was hot, I am more inclined to point a finger at the hall sender. There is a way of checking that with the aid of an LED. I haven't tried this myself but I have read about on the forum. The LED can prove the output of the hall sender.

Without the hall sender you won't get any spark.

The G60 dissy is the same as other 1800 digifant engines, Golf Passat Jetta etc so don't pay extra because it's a G60.

Gavin

The G60 dissy is the same as other 1800 digifant engines, Golf Passat Jetta etc so don't pay extra because it's a G60.

Gavin

AFAIK - there is 2 types of dizzy fitted to the G60 !! Late G60's have a different dizzy fitted.

Getting on the ETKA now Steve, I love a challenge. :mrgreen:

UPDATE..

037 905 205K is the part number I found for 89 and 93 PG engines. The same number as 88 on PB engines.

No mention of chassis number changes. The 2 litre dissys are different, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Cheers

Gavin

Getting on the ETKA now Steve, I love a challenge. :mrgreen:

I'm just remembering a conversation that I had with VW when I thought my hall sender was knackered. From memory - the early type hall sender is available seperately but the later type is integral to the distributor.

I didn't find the hall sender on the corrado pages, but going back to the 88 Golf. I found 034 998 065 listed as the hall sender. I can't find any other number, not to say that you are wrong mate.

Gavin

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) - I'm just remembering a conversation that I had with VW a month ago.