Jim Bowen

Fuse keeps blowing - Electric seats

Had this problem 2yrs ago, but not really used car since.

With my front seats (electric movement) the fuse keeps blowing so both stop working. Got car back on road at weekend and had fixed it, was working all weekend, came to work in it today and they aren't working now.

Am guessing its the fuse again (not looked) but why would this happen?

They sort of sit separate above the fusebox in their own little circuit bit, can't make sense of why its worked for 2days then stopped working when i've not been using it

I would remove the seats and check wiring under seat especially around the hinges as they can become damaged where they crease when seat is tilted etc.

I would remove the seats and check wiring under seat especially around the hinges as they can become damaged where they crease when seat is tilted etc.

You were spot on. Found a really frayed wire in the hinge.

Cheers.

Jim

Have you got a photo of the fuse box with the fuse that has blown - moved my seat forward for a friend the other day so their little legs could reach the pedals and the electrics on the seat stopped working. Got the seat apart today and discovered the connector had been pulled (similar thing happened on my Mk4 Golf few years ago) - I've put it back together but not getting any response from switches

I'm thinking it might be a fuse as all the wires seem intact but as I'm pretty confident the interior is not the original I'm not sure the wiring is going to be plugged into the right place. I have no other electrics out so am stumped so far! A photo would be dead handy if you knew which one it was that has blown. My fuse box doesn't seem to resemble the standard pics I keep finding on google!

Cheers

Will try and get a pic. But right on top of the fusebox there was two fuses. Almost separate to the fusebox. Mine sat horizontally and I think there is a relay between them.

---------- Post added at 6:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:29 PM ----------

Found this old pic. Fusebox has been pulled down but you don't need to do that.

2012-06-17134524.jpg

Its the two yellow ones you can just about make out.