Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Sensors on the front flange on the engine

I replaced the front flange on the engine block (the waterway into the front of the engine) to stop my coolant leak. When i had to take the 2 sensors out of the old flange i messed up the blue one a bit, it was stuck in real tight. It came apart, there is a spring in it, got it back together ok and the car is fine, no problmes.

Anyone know what thins sensor is, and what the other one is. Cheers, how much are they?

Beavisjem

that's the coolant temp sensor for the ECU... :| they're about £5 from places like GSF or Euro car parts or about £8 from VAG...

I'd get a new one in ASAP if I were you as this sensor can screw up the running of the car something rotten..... :?

Make sure you get new O rings with it when you change it... ;)

I agree with Henny. The blue temp sensor determines the motor's fuel dynamics. If it is defective in any way, your C will not run properly. Very cheap and easy to replace.

Aye, they're £7 from the dealer.

Look in the bender manual, tells what the resistance values should be as the coolant temp rises.

I had a laugh changing my VR one. Thought the coolant had cooled down enough, yanked the sensor out and covered my hand with scalding hot G12+, ouch!

ah, ok cheers guys, do you think i could take it off while the flange is still in the car. Only i ahve to drive to norwich from london and i ahve no tools with me. I can get the clip off but might not be able to pull it out.

It seems to be running fine and fuel economy hasn;t changed. Maybe its still working, will change it when i get home.

CHeers guys

all you need to change the sensor is a lever of any type (penknife, screwdriver, etc) to pull the clip out, and then the sensor will pull out by hand... you may need to twist it slightly first though...

MAKE SURE your engine is cold before tying to remove the clip, also remove the expansion tank cap to prove to yourself that there is no pressure in the system... ;)

all you need to change the sensor is a lever of any type (penknife, screwdriver, etc) to pull the clip out, and then the sensor will pull out by hand... you may need to twist it slightly first though...

MAKE SURE your engine is cold before tying to remove the clip, also remove the expansion tank cap to prove to yourself that there is no pressure in the system... ;)

I would just add, remove the cap, then replace it to seal the system so the tank wont drain out to much coolant

now that's a good idea, Nigel... 8) I'll remember that one for next time... :D

ah, ok cheers guys, do you think i could take it off while the flange is still in the car. Only i ahve to drive to norwich from london and i ahve no tools with me. I can get the clip off but might not be able to pull it out.

It seems to be running fine and fuel economy hasn;t changed. Maybe its still working, will change it when i get home.

CHeers guys

Coming to Norwich eh! Don't know if it's your first run up here, but can I just recommend going via M11/A11 rather than A12 /A140 etc. They look about same on map distance wise, but M11 / A11 route will be far quicker, even if you have to go past the A12 junction on the M25 to get to the M11 one! It's a much faster road. Going via A12 /A140 will frustrate the hell out of you if driving a C!

Oh, and watch out for the crap driving in Norfolk! :roll: :lol:

hi Kvwloon, yeah i got the m11 way, get lots of nice BMW and Mercs to tail in the outside lane of the M11 :)

I think i saw you the other day, must ahve been about a week ago, driving down dearham road at the bowthorpe roundabout. H reg dark corrado, you flashed and i waved.

Crap drives in norfolk....tell me about it, any chance of an indicator at a roundabout. Nope not a chance.

Might see you about this weekend

BeavisJEm

Hello BeavisJem, apologies for the late reply , been in the Maldives :D Returned up the M11 today, niiiiice! Dereham Road is quite feasible for me to be around, as is most of Norwich, just going for a drive for no reason other than it's a Corrado! Mine is a dark green / grey C, was indeed an H reg, but now KVW 200N for over a year. If I'd seen another C I would have flashed though......see you around I hope, braving those round-abouts :roll: :lol: