Sign in to follow this  
seanoVR

Problems with my new setup

Just paid £400 to have my car kitted out with new speakers all round, plus an amp and sub.

The speakers i went for are the JBL Power Series front and rear. I've got the tweeters in the dash, mid range in the door cards (5/1/4") and 4" in the back. The sub is a Vibe 10" and a Rockford Fosgate 150W amp.

Ever since it was all installed, i've had a few growing problems. The first was that the head unit (A sony active black- which i've never had a problem with) has started to cut out. It just switches off whilst playing and then turns back on. And now, all the speakers seem to have completely gone! I had the sub turned off last night as i was driving down the M1, and the speakers sounded awful. They were crackling and vibrating even when turned down low, and i wasn't even listening to any bassy music- just Dido!!!

Do you think the speakers may have blown?? The system was put in on monday, and i haven't been listening to it loud at all.

any help would be great,

cheers

i had a similar thing. did they instal new speaker wire???

with mine i left the old speaker wire hanging but it was still in the loom somewhere (i still dont quite understand how or why) but the speaker wire was touching the car body and shorting the headunit out. taped them all up and its fine now!

also if the speakers are wired up wrong and the contenuity is out on just one speaker....i.e the wires are crossed and you have the +ve and the -ve the wrong way round, it can cause the system to sound flat and crap

HTH

Cheers guys. I do think the wiring has not been done properly which has caused the head unit to overheat and is affecting it's output. I have since taken the car back to the shop and they are dealing with it all day today to get to the bottom of it. They said they are also going to compensate me which is good news :)

They are also gonna have to repair my head unit as that is noe buggered! Anyway, hopefully all will be ok, and they look after the car!! These guys just work on the side of the street....... :roll:

Yeah i know. I actually went in to the wrong shop. I was recommended to go into the one next door, but got the name wrong. Anyways, i've told them to be extra careful and make sure there is never another problem. If there is, i'll get a refund and they'll leave all the kit in

Yeah i know. I actually went in to the wrong shop. I was recommended to go into the one next door, but got the name wrong

So basically you had your ICE fitted by the Dry Cleaners :? :lol: