Ralphead

Brake compensator valve springs?

I bled my brakes yesterday and when I opened the compensator valve I found that the big spring was just hanging off the valve lever and not connected to the arm from the axle. It looks to me like there should be another smaller spring on the other end of the valve lever, is that right? I've left the big spring off completely for the minute so I don't lose it down the road.

There are bolts to hold it in place top & bottom so sounds like they've fell off. :(

The pic shows the view from the top as if you were looking down onto the beam and you can make out the top bolt too.

Edited by KIPVW

There are bolts to hold it in place top & bottom so sounds like they've fell off. :(

The pic shows the view from the top as if you were looking down onto the beam and you can make out the top bolt too.

It's only the spring(s) which have come adrift. The lever is still on the valve and the valve is bolted to the body. I saw how the big spring attached when I changed the rear beam but I don't remember a smaller one.

Errr yeah that would be an MOT failure and fairly dangerous braking into corners!

Don't drive it till fixed!

I turned the back brakes nearly right down and tested them, on private land of course..

Can you guess which bit I drew?

Thanks. Just it looks like the big spring can only pull the valve lever not return it. I'll fiddle with it when it's not so damn cold.

The valve lever should return itself when tension on the large spring is released.

The large spring is attached to the regulator arm (via the plastic clip shown in the photo) and to a bracket. At the bracket the spring hook wraps around a plastic bobbin. The retaining bolt passes through the bobbin to the bracket (there are also washers). There's a slot in the bracket so that you can adjust the position of the retaining bolt to take up the slack in the spring.

Sorry I don't have a picture. Hope you understand my explanation. The point is there's a bobbin not just a bolt, and adjustment may be needed.

Ah, my lever doesn't move by itself. I can position it anywhere and it just stays there. Hence where I thought there maybe another spring. I'll have to find out why it's not returning, would it just be hydraulic pressure? I haven't had a good look at it since bleeding the brakes properly.

I moved the bobbin when I lowered the car, but got it wrong I guess so the spring came off.

I get your explanation, I resorted to pictures cos I couldn't find the words..

It's had it, basically it's seized, the big spring will be loose in this case, you can free them off sometimes with wd40 but it won't be long before it does it again.

Yep seized and probably all perished seals inside anyway, a bugger to do but worth it once done.

If you do replace it the best price for the ATE part was £44 from carparts4less.co.uk (back in July) . I think from VW the same part is more like £150.

Bugger. Thing is it moves smoothly and easily but just has no returning action.

I've really got to crack on refurbing the original rear beam and get that fitted, I could do the valve then. Thanks for the price tip. At £150 I'd be fitting a bias valve instead.

Hi guys,

Just been replacing rear brake hoses on my Corrado and have a similar issue. My valve moves but doesnt return. There is also only the big spring and no plastic sleeves etc. I went to Sheffield TPS today and they have told me that the springs and plastic bits are all obsolete parts!

Does anyone know what i can do??? Help please!

I have nearly finished mechanically sorting my Corrado and am so close to taking it for a test....but not until this is sorted!

Thanks,

Nigel

the big spring is corrado (4 cylinder engine) specific, unique length presumably.

the new compensator comes with the plastic end the spring hooks onto and the other end just bolts in place, not sure what the problem is?

But as I said earlier in the thread if the valve doesn't return on it's own then it needs replacing as it's becoming siezed.

Thanks for your help. I have managed to orfer the spring from VW Heritage and have ordered a new compensator. I replaced this on my mk2 golf and remember it being a bit of a pig of a job.

Cheers!