Rooker

Sunroof/Moonroof project again (probably 200 times you had this before)

Hi Gents (Maybe Ladies also?),

I have a project for the winter on my VR6: fix the sunroof, which tilts but does not slide (as usual).

As I understand there are quite many options to do this and now I would like to use your experience, pick your brains....

Solutions:

1.) Fix the original with small but rather expensive parts and risk it that it breaks again

2.) Swap to another type, like Octavia Estate

3.) Passat B4

4.) Golf Mk3

5.) Seat Ibiza

With solutions 2.)-5.) I would like to know which is fitting best and what should I watch out for?

Best would be to know the right model, right year range and maybe a part number...

Maybe someone have one at home in the garage, ready for shipping? I would be happy to buy that!

I have found now an Octavia Estate from end of '98. (1U5 Estate)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71043[/ATTACH]

Is this good?

What I promise on the other hand is to post a step-by-step manual with pictures about the whole project.

Regards,

Rooker

1) The chances of it happening again with new parts are small. The reason they break in the first place is they weren't greased properly at the factory and the plastic feet on the cable guides overheat and bind in the channels, which causes the guide to shear in half (always the passenger side for some reason). If VAG's "sliding mechanism" grease is used during assembly and for regular maintenance, it should be fine.

3) Make sure it's a B4 estate as it's the closest match to the Corrado's roof profile. Be warned though, these break in exactly the same way as the Corrado roof does.

4) Completely different subframe and the panel is miles out. It sits proud in the middle by a huge amount.

Yes, you are right why to risk that with 3 and 4..... I think it is best to keep it original, now I have found a company supplying parts for that at reasonable price levels. Around 50 USD each part kit, so worst case 200 USD.... But I need to check first what is wrong.

I post the results and the method with pictures, the only problem now is that it is -10 C outside and there is no heating in the garage :-(