Critical_Mass

Blotchy paint

Right, its one thing after another :lol:

Car has been sat unused on the drive since October and today i noticed something strange.

The paint on the bonnet has gone all weird, its under the laquer by the looks of it. Almost looks like a water mark.

What the heck has happened to my paint?!?

Ignore the white spots, thats where laquer has blistered from stone chips.

Im tempted to spray the bonnet blackm with a rattle can until i can get the front end resprayed.

Thoughts on whats happened to that paint

20121215_142607_zps43b9621a.jpg

20121215_142551_zps96161b40.jpg

20121215_142616_zpsa563042b.jpg

20121215_142624_zps26929652.jpg

I have similair on the boot of my 406 v6 coupe

In told its water ingress between the paint and laquer!!

Needs to be flatted back and resprayed

Do you live under a flight path?

We get weird marks on the cars and some people have mentioned its to do with aeroplanes. Am not sure myself.

Have you got an electric polisher?

it looks like its been painted with cheap lacquer,i bet if you got a power wash and pointed it at a paint chip the lacquer would start coming off

Jim that had crossed my mind, but dont live under a flight path, though i suppose fluid from a plane could travel miles laterally if its thousands of feet in the air and it really doonnees look like fluid dropped on the bonnet.

Hasnt been under a cover - not yet anyway.

Carrots - its factory laquer as far as i know. Though i admit the stone chips causing laquer peel is bad.. but this problem is happening in places where theres no stone chip. Though i suppose it could allow water under the laquer. Saying that its only happened on one half of the bonnet.

I've got an electric polisher, but i dont think it'll help as the problem is under the laquer. I'll try flattening it back and relaquering.

Looks awful.

you wont get a buffer to get that right,it needs taking back to base coat or primer and repainting.i used to do body work.cheap paint or water in paint can cause this

im guessing its an adhesion problem between the basecoat and the clear , aka lacquer peel!, only way to fix would be to sand back past the clearcoat and then re base it then clear it, think its best left to a bodyshop, i wouldnt put anything else on top of it as it will only cost you more in the long run to remove..

Jim it looks like you could be right in what you said. Very unlucky if it is indeed the case.

Where before it appeared only half the bonnet had this weird marks on it, today i noticed the WHOLE bonnet has these marks on it AND ive noticed it appears theres the same marks on the windscreen which can only be seen when the sun shines through it. Strangely though, from what ive seen the roof and both front wings are fine.

Still no real idea what it actually is. But a front end respray probably is on the cards :( not what i needed.