GusPW

spring/wire in PCV outlet?

Took all the intake pipework off today to clean it up and make sure there are no leaks. For some reason I randomly decided to look into the small pipe on the cylinder head cover where the PCV attaches and I saw what looked like a spring stuck in there!?!.

Someone please tell me this is normal and serves some random purpose? although deep down I'm expecting someone to tell me something horrible like it must be a broken bit of a valve spring!!

Its a VR6 and has been running ok apart from lumpy idle but it did do a sort of juddering the other day when starting to move off in a low gear.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Well, one day i opened my bonnet to find the cam hamster sitting among the coilpack/ht leads, looking very concerned.

CamhamsterEscape.jpg

I still don't know how he got out as the Cam hamster spring was in place. Anyway, took quite a bit of work to get him back

Camhamster.jpg

I think he had popped out to tell me the chain tensioners weren't looking too healthy. :)

Thank funk for that, i was starting to think i made the wrong choice in replacing all the steering gear this year when i should have invested in cam hamster retention!

Bet VW hampsters aint cheap?

thanks for the quick replies