Oldtax

clutch slave ... wot am i not doing?!

hugely embarrassing considering it might be the easiest job on any car ... and i've done it on other cars.

I'm replacing the clutch slave cylinder. taken old one off fine. connected hose but then cant seem to make rod retract enough so i can bolt it back on. should only take 20 mins but its playing silly buggers! any idea wot im doing wrong? :roll:

What engine is it? Only asking as i thought that's what was up with mine, turned out to be a broken clutch fork, which has happened to a few people on here..............mine is a VR6 btw

Will the rod push in without the hydraulic hose attached?

Yes - i first tried it without hose on but couldnt easily attached hose after so took it back off again. then i tried with the hose on and it wouldnt retract. so i took the hose back off and it still wont retract. then i lost the will to live!

9a engine - odb1 i presume.

cheers

Edited by Oldtax

Thanks. Managed to get it on. However everytime I add fluid to reservoir it just drains sraight away. Can't seem to be able to bleed thru. Used about 400ml now and pedal still floor.maybe not enough? I'm ignoring the fact that car won't start!

Does sound like it just needs bleeding. Start at the master cylinder,then the slave. You'd be surprised how many people do it the wrong way around first!