KIPVW

Google Chromebooks Any good for me?

Been looking at the google chromebook's and wonder if they would be good for general internet surfing etc

Am i right in thinking that any documents or pictures music etc is downloaded to google's hard drive and not the actual device itself?

Not too fussed about storing lots as i can save that to an external storage box if that is possible, what i would like it to do though is be able to use my garmin training computer for the bike which uses a usb connection to connect to garmins website. Would this do that for me?

Any help greatly appreciated as i dont know much about pc's and have only just learnt how to copy & paste :lol:

Kip

No, it won't work with Garmin's Communicator plugin, which needs as a minimum spec either an Intel-based PowerPC G4 machine running Mac OS X 10.4 or a Windows XP/ Vista machine running Internet Explorer 7.

The Chromebook is a pretty puny machine, which is really just a glorified web browser. IIRC you can only use browser based apps on it so it's very restricted in that respect, altho' fine if all you want is to websurf etc. It does have a memory card slot and up to 16GB of local storage.

I'm not au fait with what's on the market at the mo, but you'd perhaps be better off with a lower end laptop for around £250 from ASUS, Acer, Samsung or Toshiba. I'd personally steer clear of HP & Fujitsu-Siemens. Alternatively, something used off eBay, maybe.

Ah thanks for that, not much use if it won't connect my garmin then :-)

Thanks for the info too, guess a few more pennies get you a lot more oomph.

:-)