cdem

Selecter Tower

Just changing the selecter tower, cars a 1991 1,8 16v. Took the old one out but cant get the new one in. Tried re-fitting the old one too but it doesn't go. When re-fitting it doesnt go down enough and is about 1-2cm too high. Can anybody point out where i am going wrong?

Dont quote me, but I have heard you need to match the bottom bush aswell, the bush is on the underside of the gearbox with the VW emblem on it.

Old one should just slot back, the early cars had narrower bottom bearings, that's where you need to match the shaft and the cap on the bottom of the box, the later wider ones have a vw logo on the bottom cap iirc, I have a thread somewhere on changing the towers and pics of about 4 different ones

here you go:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?34328-changes-in-02A-selector-towers-and-shafts&highlight=Selector+tower

Edited by davidwort

Old one doesn't slot in though and the car defiantly isn't in gear either. Have a spare box so swapping it over now. Shifter tower goes into that fine though which is odd.

That thread is brilliant! Explains a lot :-) don't know why my search didn't bring it up.

I'm still not able to put the selector tower back in the box. Have ended up putting a new box on on Sunday and even with the box out I still can't fit the selector tower.

It's defiantly not in gear or anything as I was able to push the car back to close the garage door so I'm lost for ideas!

I can take the 2 bolts out to remove the bottom bush but it just doesnt seem to want to come off. I think i will take the box somewhere to be rebuilt, at least I know I will have a decent gearbox then. Gives me a reason to get the ABF rebuilt which is sat around in the garage :)

I can take the 2 bolts out to remove the bottom bush but it just doesnt seem to want to come off. I think i will take the box somewhere to be rebuilt, at least I know I will have a decent gearbox then. Gives me a reason to get the ABF rebuilt which is sat around in the garage :)

They're also glued in place/sealer, you need to tap some of them round with a plastic mallet as the alloy cap is relatively soft