Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Rear brake piston

Just spent about two hours trying to push, turn, twist...... the piston back into the caliper. It would f***ing move the b****** ing thing.

I've read you need to turn but it doesn't seem to go back or forwards

tried using a g-clamp as well, still dont move a millimetre

which way should i be turning it? bentley says clockwise, another thread says anticlockwise???? aarrrggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

help, i've got a hang over and getting really pissed off

cheers

simon

If it's anything like the Mk2 golf rear pistons and i do believe they are then you need to turn them Clockwise, and put a bit of force behind them at the same time, so just push in and turn (try needle nose pliers)

Hope this helps :)

managed to do it. well one side anyway. Went out after posting the thread turned them like i was doing before and it moved in!!!!!! Maybe there is some pressure in the system which you have to wait until its gone. :roll:

anyway just waiting for a we while before attacking the other side

cheers

timo

If it's mega stuck due to plain old age, and won't budge using needle nose pliers etc, Syke Pickavant do a good tool for the job, about £20 quid from Halfords though, but very good for getting the darn things moving. As you probably know by now G clamps etc won't work, as you need to turn and push at same time! Worth buying the tool if you plan to do the rears again in th future. You could have borrowed mine, but you aint exactly local :lol:

On the plus side, at least being outside on the car keeps you away from those bl##dy annoying M & S food adverts that have just come out, annoying the hell out of me! :roll:

Yeah, without the tool its very hard... £20 will save you an extra hour on the car anyways...

If you have managed to do one side but the other won't budge then the caliper probably wants replacing anyway and they should be done in pairs...

managed to get both done and bleed the entire system. Brakes feel rather nice now!! Still could be better though.

cheers for the help guys

simon