aclwalker

VR6 90A 7 rib pulley alternator in the Glasgow area?

Does anybody in the Glasgow area have a working 90A 7 rib pulley alternator they don't need any more? Mine was a Valeo (021903023N I think) but Bosch (021903025A) would probably do too.

As per http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?78282-Sudden-loss-of-all-electrical-power my almost new rebuild alternator has failed spectacularly after only 3 months. However, Unipart (the only place I could find one in the first place when the previous one failed after years of service) have only managed to get 6 rib alternators in for my warranty claim and I'm not confident this is going to be resolved any time soon, so I'm looking for something to get back on the road after 3 weeks without my car. There seems to be some confusion with them being listed as 7 rib but arriving 6 rib. I think this is because VW have obsoleted the original 7 rib alternator and replaced it with a 6 rib alternator nearly the same AND a 7 rib pulley ordered separately, but the aftermarket have mistaken this as a direct replacement.

Dropping it off in the south side would be massively appreciated too, but not vital! Remember, I've got VAG-COM so free scans for anyone willing to help a fellow owner out! (I do free scans anyway for anyone who asks, but just thought I'd remind you all.)

the alternator from a seat ibiza will fit all you will fit all you will need to do is change the pulley, i recently put a vr alternator on a ibiza which i was selling, it was w reg model ibiza if that helps

Hi, thanks for the offer, but yours looks like 70A, which I think will be underpowered for my car. As it happens, I have received a phonecall today and another one has been sourced, with the correct pulley.

---------- Post added at 1:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:02 PM ----------

the alternator from a seat ibiza will fit all you will fit all you will need to do is change the pulley, i recently put a vr alternator on a ibiza which i was selling, it was w reg model ibiza if that helps

Yes, the parts place managed to get two alternators that were 6 rib pulleys, but the problems are that they supplied me with a 7 rib pulley version 4 months ago, and it is now a warranty claim, so I really have to go through them if I don't want to throw away more money. We did consider simply swapping the pulleys over, but I never had tools with me and the parts place didn't either.

I am considering trying to get a spare alternator as I am not confident of the quality of these rebuilds. How did you get the pulley off? It seems to be difficult to hold the spindle and rotate the nut off. Is there a special tool for this? Or can it be done with a splined key or similar and a spanner held at an angle?

air gun is the easiest way, as it was i didn't need to change the pulley's i just left the vr one on there and placed the belt in the right grooves, the only thing i did have to change was the 2 pin plug as the seat one has an oval end, and the vr is totaly square. other that than that a straight fit,

on another note i'm having a 120amp alternator rebuilt but got a qoute for a new one can't remember if he said it was 130amp or 150amp for £130 plus the dreaded vat not a bad price but can't stretch to that at the moment!

Mk3 golf Gti 8v & 16v (codes ADY and ABF) alternators fit, but as above the pulley's need changing.