Elliot N

Engine rebuild?!?

Hi, I am having an engine rebuild done soon and I need to find piston rings and big end bearings to fit! I have seen some KS brand big end bearings http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251206897773&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 and some RIC brand Japan made piston rings http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271088677403&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:GB:1123 my question is has anyone used these before? would you recommend them and if not where could I find the OE parts without going direct to the stealers! thanks.

i've used KS big end bearings - they're fine. Can comment on the rings though. Why such a major overhaul though? Are you burning oil?

i've used KS big end bearings - they're fine. Can comment on the rings though. Why such a major overhaul though? Are you burning oil?

Low compression , burning oil need to get it rebuilt

Hi,

If you're considering a rebuild it's worth checking if cylinders 1 and 6 have any ovalisation, as they are prone to this which contributes to the oil consumption and I'm not convinced new pistons / rings will cure this (others may be able to give more definitive advice on this!)

If you're doing this may be worth considering a rebore and oversized pistons.

Cheers

Phil

Hi! the engine is a 1.8 16v 4 cylinder so don't have the worry of 6 cylinders haha, yeah as soon as the block is stripped apart its going to be taken to the machine shop and honed, tolerances checked then machine washed and painted, the ovalization was the concern that I did have though which is why I want it to be done properly, the original engines compression test results were 140, 135, 142, 100 on a dry test, and on a wet test cylinder #4 jumped up from 100 to 140 (Y)