maff

The old Vr6 brake upgrade

Why buy good ridge lines when I can supplier better and cheaper ones??

See suppliers forum

For the money, the standard VW pads (£40 a set IIRC) work just as well as any other pad I've tried for 90% of peoples requirements. And I've tried a few pads and brake setups in my time :D They're great from cold and resist fade very well. Hard to believe they're only 40 quid tbh. I've had expensive Ferodo DS2500s at 5 times the price, but they're nowhere near 5 times as good!

I have recently changed my front setup from VW discs & pads to EBC USR series discs & green stuff pads & think the combination are a vast improvement over the genuine VW versions!

they can be a tad noisey under heavy braking but i can put up with that as a trade for stopping a great distance sooner

I also have to mention that i was very disappointed in the longevity of the VW brake parts - brand new genuine VW discs & pads fitted at the same time & i barely got 20K miles out of them :s

I also have to mention that i was very disappointed in the longevity of the VW brake parts - brand new genuine VW discs & pads fitted at the same time & i barely got 20K miles out of them :s

I don't understand that - as I say I've done about 20,000 miles in my VR6 since I bought it.. and I don't know how many the previous owner did on the same 288mm brake setup.. but I stripped the brakes off this weekend and the discs barely have any wear on them at all and the pads look like they have tens of thousands of miles left on them too - I'm staggered.

I don't understand that - as I say I've done about 20,000 miles in my VR6 since I bought it.. and I don't know how many the previous owner did on the same 288mm brake setup.. but I stripped the brakes off this weekend and the discs barely have any wear on them at all and the pads look like they have tens of thousands of miles left on them too - I'm staggered.

I too was staggered!!! in fact at the time i questioned my mechanic but he had measured the disc width & according to the recommendations they were both on the wear limit.

FYI If i cant do a job myself, or dont have the time, there is only 1 mechanic i let work on the rado (call me paranoid i know lol) - which is a friend of the family & who my family have used for over 20 years, thus i very much trust what he says

I record mileage & dates etc for pretty much every bit of work or maintenance etc that is done & the discs & pads brought direct from my local stealer were fitted at 119905. The mileage was on 141857 when they needed replacing

i was always under the impression that discs would outlast pads maybe 2-1 or 3-1 but i have heard that due to a lower carbon content (IIRC) discs dont last like they used to.......unfortunately like most things in the throw away society which has been created i guess lol

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Bigger pistons aswell IIRC. If you can't improve braking power with leverage (disc diameter) because of wheel size limitations, good old extra friction comes a close second :D

Kev, Would you say the 57mm piston (passat?) version of the calliper is worth doing over the 54mm golf 288 setup?