dil

Boot not locking

I can hear the mechanism making the locking noise, but it's not actually locked.

Any ideas?

First thing i'd do once removing the spoiler/boot lock cover is to disconnect the little brass coloured rod from the lock mechanism it hooks into a little white plastic grommet so carefully just lever the rod out from that.#

Then press the key fob button that locks unlocks your car to see if the rod moves in & out as if it does it is the lock that has seized as per the thread i added and remove and clean it and all should be good. If not it could be something else so if you need any parts let me know as i'm breaking one at the moment and the mechanism works perfectly in that.

Paul

wd40 to lube the lock like kip said if it is pointing to the lock couple of mins and should be sorted

Is the bush attached to the mechanism or elsewhere ? I work room the corner from

Vw so would like to get one and replace as I have the cover off.

It could be a number of things.. central locking fires an actuator which is connected via a long metal rod across the boot, to the lock mechanism itself. On my car the actuator worked fine but the mechanism had seized up - I think I ordered a replacement lock from VW and it wasn't mega money. Did mean a different key for the boot but no hardship to have a working lock.

Replacement was simply a question of opening the boot, removing the rear plastic cover, disconnect the rod linking the two and I think remove the two bolts holding the lock in place - then installation was the reverse :) Dead easy.

The bushes are attatched to the mechanism in two places , and provide a fitting for both the lock/unlock rod , and the boot latch rod ...

Either the lock hook , or , there's a springloaded latch that the locking mechanism knocks out of the way of the push button when you unlock via central locking , this could have rusted and siezed ...either way it's a pretty easy job , did mine the other week following some good advice on here.

After freeing up the hook (was pretty damn tight !) with some penetrating oil I greased it with some general purpose grease to prevent it sticking in future.

They leave the factory greased and should last for a damn good while I reckon , but in my case , water was getting in past the spoiler flange ...might be worth a check while you have the cover off...

Edited by scott1980

Thread resurrection but thanks to this I fixed my boot not locking on fob. Bit of wd40 on the moving parts behind the lock mechanism and job fixed. I thought I'd be in for a part being broken and thus having to reverse up to walls to stop any thieves lol.