123peckham1

core plug

its not that hard to replace them, but the problem is getting the room to do so, i helped my friend do his on his mk2 golf, only way to do it was to pull the engine out, realy cant comment about the 9a on a corrado but im going to assume it will be the same, was easy once we pulled the motor out , just hit them with a punch and hammer and then pull them out , then clean the surfaces up, i then used a sealant on the surfaces and then knocked in the new plugs with a suitable sized socket,

You might be able to get to it by removing the throttle body, inlet and exhaust manifolds & downpipe but its not going to quick job. Have you tried getting to them from underneath?

I changed one core plug on my 9a, with the engine in, and the exhaust manifold and downpipe still fitted.

I was lucky in that the one I needed to replace was the easiest one to access, but it was by no means easy.

All work was done from underneath the car.

I used a small electric drill to drill a hole in the centre of the old core plug and wound in a the largest self tapping screw I could find, then I used pliers and mole grips to leaver it out of the block. Once out I cleaned the the bore of the hole in the block with emery cloth. I then painted hammerite on the sealing face of the bore and fitted the new core plug (whilst the paint was wet).

To install the new core plug I first levered it into the hole to get it started. I used various pry bars, blocks of wood etc to enable me to lever against the plug. From what I remember, there was no room to swing a hammer, to levering was the only way I could do it. It was hard work, but I got there in the end, and pushed it in to match the depth of the other core plugs.

Once in, I painted plenty of hammerite on the core plug including around it's perimeter. This was about 4 years ago, and it has been fine. Since doing that I rebuilt the engine including replacing the other core plugs. I inspected the one I fitted originally and concluded there was no point in replacing it as it was fitted perfectly.