timthetinyhorse

Running fine now won't start

Car is a 2.9 VR

A little background info first.....changed the rocker gasket so at the same time I had the inlet manifold powder coated, got the car back together last week and fitted leads etc, fired the car up and it sounded like it was missing one cylinder or something like that, a little rough and the engine wasn't as stable as normal at tickover, on removal of the Leads again I found one was looking a bit worse for ware, no problem order a new set....

So I fitted my new ht leads to the car today. Car started fine, let the car get hot, fan kicked in great and ticking over as it should, all great I think to myself, give the car a few revs (about 5k) and as I take my foot off the power the engine dies, try to start the car again and it starts but is running rough again. Refit the leads to make sure they are ok and everything appears great so try again but the bad running continues.

Go inside for a coffee and a think, come back outside and try start the car again and it won't fire up, engine turns over, I'm getting a spark but won't start (I presume it's turning over as I can see the belts turning) so I'm puzzled...

Is it possible I have an air or vac leak somewhere? I can hear a faint hiss behind the intake coming from a black box with a hose coming off just before the TB.

Any clues? Could it possibly be a coil pack issue?

Any help would be great!

Edited by timthetinyhorse

The small box on the back of the engine I mention is the idol air control noise damper but I don't think this is the issue as I can see this preventing the car from stating.......

Would a partially charged battery be enough to stop a car from starting?? I.e. enough to turn the engine but not enough to actually start it?

---------- Post added at 6:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:58 PM ----------

Should also add that the head unit was removed today, can this cause immobiliser issues?

Sorry if this sounds really obvious, but did you put the intake pipe back on snugly?

(yep, I've done that before...!)

Not sure if its the same on the VR, but on the valvers, there is a vacuum pipe on the bottom of the TB. Its hard to locate by feel alone, and you can't really see it. Might be worth checking it out, or getting someone to turn it over whilst you stick your hand where the noise seems to be originating from. Radio removal shouldn't affect immob, and even if it did, the car would start but cut out after a couple of seconds if the immob was cutting in.

Will check the tb vac pipe tomorrow, yeah the intake pipe is on nice and tight but I'm going to check everything again, just appears odd that its gone from idling fine to not even starting in a day.....I tout it was too good to be true after it started first time from standing for a couple of weeks......