Hofmiester

288's what do i need?

Hi All,

Getting sick of the bad brakes on my VR6 and so plan to upgrade them. Just managed to buy a set of 288mm calipers, carriers with brake lines.

Do I just need disks/pads for a MK3 Gti/VR6 or is there anything else?

Cheers

Ron

You need calipers, carriers, lines, disks and pads.

Just find a mk3 being broken and nick the bits. Obviously you can use the disks/pads depending on condition but I'd rather buy new! Oh and buy fresh brake lines lol.

The disks and pads (288mm) are from a late spec (post 96) Mk3 VR6, i think early only ran 280mm..

Fairly normal to convert to goodridge hoses for the swap..

Hmmm, a bit pricey. I might leave them for now as i had them fitted to my Octavia Vrs and I didnt think there was much of an improvement TBH.

You can use standard hoses from the golf, what Goldie meant was that people sometimes like to use goodridge for the swap. Just make sure they are banjo fitment, ie. they have a hole where the brake caliper bolt goes through as opposed to a hose that has a thread on the end that screws directly into the caliper

my mates doing a conversion on his mk4 golf from 288mm`s to 312mm`s, which would be going spare so there going on the corrado this weekend. but yeah, all ill be going for in the scrappy is 2 flexi hoses off a mk4 golf, i was looking at converting the rears to mk4 calipers too, but i really cant see the pro`s of doing it other than it damaging my wallet....

Think I have everything now, went with EBC Greenstuff pads for some added bite. Will let you know how it all shapes up :)

Some better pads??