lewis1982

ABS Sensor Resistance?

Hi, My ABS light came on and Stayed on when I was driving to the MOT :-(

After it failed the MOT i took the resistance of all the sensors and was getting the following readings-

Front left - No reading Even when turning the wheel

Front right - No reading Even when turning the wheel

Rear right - No reading Even when turning the wheel

Rear Left - 0.92ohms up to 1.62 when turning the wheel

Are all 3 sensors needing replaced?

Thanks, Lewis

No reading indicates the sensor or wiring to it (depending on where you took the measurement) has gone open circuit. It does seem strange though that you would have 3 failed. Has the ABS light come on recently?

Took the front readings on the male connector going down to the sensors at the strut top and the female connector going to the sensors under the rear seat. The light can on yesterday morning

As above, 1.6 is thereabouts, but I wouldn't expect three to fail at the same time. Perhaps check the control unit under the passenger footwell trim for moisture at the connection point.

I would change the setting on your multi meter to a higher range.

The sensors should be approx 1k ohm each.

Test them on this setting, any reading that is more that 50 ohms out will be the culprit.

I tried it on every setting on the ohms scale but still nothing. Surely if it was the control unit all the sensor would of tested out ok as I only tested it from the plug to the sensor.

Just picking up on this I've tested my front two only so far as my ABS light is on most of the time, occasionally it goes out. I tested the male end of the plugs at the strut tops and with the multimeter set on the 20k scale, I got readings of 19.6 and 14.7. Would this suggest that both are faulty?

Any help is appreciated as I can hold a multi meter but not very good at interpreting the results! lol

Correct resistance should be around 1.1k ohm. I'd suggest testing again at a lower scale but that seems quite far off. Generally faulty sensors give readings very high or open link, very low, or they fluctuate considerably between the two.