Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

A cautionary tale

Several weeks ago my car ( 2.0l 16v ) died in traffic. I was able to limp home but it wouldn't tick over.I got amobile tuner guy out and he told me that although his screen said the air mass meter was u/s he couldn't see how as the meter is mechanical.Unless it was something to do with the plug-in gizmos on the front of the meter.Anyway, as it had been diagnosed as faulty before Ibit the bullet and ordered one fom ECP.In the intervening THREE WEEKS it took to come I occasionally tried to start the car.Sometimes it would;sometimes not.The new meter arrived and was duely fitted.No bl...y difference.I had the cardragged down to a recommended tuner in Ryhope( near Sunderland ) called HAWKTUNE.He's not specifically VW but he's been in business for thirty years or so and knows an awful lot about fuel injection et al.The following day the car was ready to pick up with it's new......ROTOR ARM!! He said that was what caused the car to die as it was tracking out when warm.When he'd fitted the new one he couldn't understand why the mixture was a mile out till I told him you didn't get a new fuel distributer head for your money when you bought the meter.He said it seemed to him that the mixture had been adjusted in the past to cope with the old meterand needed resetting.He also said the meters could often be repaired ( not something I particularly wanted to hear ).I don't know if he was bulling me or not but the car now goes like stink and the fuel consumption has drastically improved.I try to console myself with this as I gaze at my credit card receipts.I may never know the full story, but, as they say everything turned out right in the end.

sounds like you were really unlucky there mate, but at least its sorted now and you know where to go back to if you have any more problems!

i'm not far from you over in gateshead, whats your C like? i might have seen you around....

It's Moonlight Blue Pearl( nearly black in new money) and looks bog standard; even down to those Vauxhall Astra style wheels.However what makes it stand out is that it's been lwered before I got it, by how much I don't know.What I do know is that when I'm washing it I can only just get my feet under the front spoiler.I'm led to believe that it's had the full Eibach/koni treatment.Aquick look under the car reveals that the anti-rool bars are as thick as my arm.Speed bumps can be a problem but it's so good to drive that even at my age I can put up with it.Aquick drive along South Shields coast road gets me some funny looks from the Corsa/ Clio crowd;"A wrinkly in a car that low .I can't believe it"

yup i think i have seen you , i've definatly seen a moonlight blue C heading towards sunderland on the A19 a couple of times...