Yega

Buying advice

I know there is a Corrado buying guide, which I've already read, but I wanted to ask some question about cars that I am specifically looking at. What I'm after really is advice as to what questions to ask or whether to completely stay away from these cars. Here is the first one:

There is one G60 I'm looking at now, 1991 model, 202k miles, all original still with full service history (which I have not seen). Currently SORN and MOT valid until 07/2013 with following advisory: The driver’s side wing (lacquer) and sill (rust) need some attention but do not require major works. The sunroof tilts but does not slide (common issue).

I've already asked for details of any work on the supercharger, if the spoiler is working and if cambelt was changed when supposed to.

Is this worth looking into some more and if so what else should I be asking? Are the problems described as trivial as they sound (apart form the sunroof)?

If the sill has rust then you need to get the whole underneath inspected it could be very rotten. From your brief description I'd say the car is worth a few hundred bought as a 'breaker' and nothing more.

Agreed with David.. there are potentially a few bills there and I'd be surprised if there is history for something like the G-Lader (but I guess you never can tell) - either way I'd certainly not offering anything over three figures for it.

Thank you guys, greatly appreciate your advice. I will stay clear of this one I think. If its ok I'll post here again if I find another candidate :)

Yeah - when you can still find cars with less than 100k on the clock it's not worth buying something with 200k+, especially as parts are egtting harder to get hold of now.

Good point. I only considered it because it says it's been in the family for 15 years and is still original, which is hard to find for a G60.

Originality can count for a lot and as I say if you can haggle a decent price then it's still worth looking at.

So am I right in thinking that if the engine has been maintained well even at 200k miles it could have potential to keep going for a while longer? I need to admit that I am not the most car technical person you will meet - I know a few bits and bobs but I still have a lot to learn.

Just going back to the car in the original post, I have heard back from him and he is going to get the answers to my various questions about the state of the car later today (I emailed him before I started this thread). I will report back when I have the reply. As you say Jim, if the price is right it might be worth looking at :)

Just found another that has come up:

135k miles, sunroof and spoiler apparently work, looks to be in good condition, supercharger maintained by Jabba Sports (waiting on details when/what work done), currently SORN, been sat in a garage for 3 years without being touched, no MOT. He took it out the other night for a drive and it was fine apparently so at least it runs.

The price he is asking is quite reasonable considering everything works as stated. Obviously it would need a service as its been sat for 3 years.

Thoughts?

Just found another that has come up:

135k miles, sunroof and spoiler apparently work, looks to be in good condition, supercharger maintained by Jabba Sports (waiting on details when/what work done), currently SORN, been sat in a garage for 3 years without being touched, no MOT. He took it out the other night for a drive and it was fine apparently so at least it runs.

The price he is asking is quite reasonable considering everything works as stated. Obviously it would need a service as its been sat for 3 years.

Thoughts?

Sounds possibly better although sat not moving for 3 years is not necessarily a plus point as parts still rot without being used. It's hard to tell with no link to an advert. It might be worth posting up a link and people can give an opinion on both the car and the price. Keep in mind that with no MOT you should adjust price accordingly or, if you like the car, then ask him to get it MOT'd.

Thank you Portent.

I was thinking exactly the same about the "sitting around for 3 years" but without looking there is no telling what could be on its way out. When you say adjust the price accordingly is that just the ~£50 it would cost to MOT, as you won't know what it might fail on?

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150994703953

Ooh a nugget. That looks quite nice. I'm not keen on the black wheels, eyebrow and badgeless grille but that's just personal preference and the next person may love them (easily changed anyway).

The reason a car without an MOT sells for less than one with an MOT is because it could fail on all sorts of things and cost a fortune to put right. Personally I'd be looking at sub £1k without and MOT.

But... I really couldn't live with the bonnet scoop. So if you feel the same way then you'd need to budget for finding a spare used early bonnet and respraying it. It seems a reasonable price if it had an MOT but allow for a potential bonnet change and wait for others opinions on here as I'm not really a G60 man. I'd also be wanting to know a lot more about the "Dozens of receipts, including bills from Jaba Sports for Super Charger maintenance, and previous MOTs etc." before travelling from High Wycombe to Leicestershire. It's a long way to go if the documentation doesn't materialise.

I'd also be asking for a close up of the drivers seat bolster as it's hard to tell from the picture exactly how much wear there is.

Wow, thank you for all this insightful info! The cosmetic things don't bother me too much and could be changed, I'm mostly concerned with the engine running right and not giving me problems everytime I take it out.

I'll ask about the MOT, if he would get it done, if not then I'd ask for the price to be dropped. Also gotta add to that the £220 it would cost for tax.

Got some more info on the car history:

2000 - 82k miles - Stage 4 supercharger was put in by Jabba Sport

2003 - 115k miles - Stealth Racing did some work on the car, I believe camshafts were upgraded

2005 - ~120k miles - G60 Stage 2 Supercharger Rebuild at Jabba Sport

2008 - Clutch slave replaced

(There is a bunch more but these stood out the most)

I'm thinking of ringing up Jabba Sport and see if they can confirm what work was done on it, as I'm a bit dubious about the supercharger thats in it and the work done on it. Apparently the car has only done around 19k or so miles since the supercharger service, which is not bad I guess. Did speak to him about the MOT and I think I'll see if I can get him to do it.

Also, there is some minor scratches and on the bumper and wheel arches that requires attention. The air filter pipe is also cracked apparently, he said he was trying to take it out or something but failed (he sounds like me, not very technical :p ). Lastly, the exhaust tip needs a new bracket/soldering work as its currently being held on by some cable tidies - I know a guy who can sort this, he fitted my exhaust so doesn't sound too bad.

This could either be quite a good motor with some small annoying issues that can be fixed up for couple hundred quid or actually something that's falling apart and had new things put in to try hold it together.

Anyone near Hinckley fancy having a look for me? :D :p

Spoke to Jabba Sports who confirmed that originally the car would have had a Stage 4 rebuild which was in 2000 and then in 2005 it would have had a Stage 2 rebuild, which is a normal thing they do as that's what they call their standard supercharger service.

So it looks like the car has done around 15-20k miles between 2005 and 2010 on a rebuilt supercharger, and then was garaged for the last 3 years. I don't really know much about superchargers, so can anyone tell me how much mileage can usually be done on a supercharger before it needs servicing/rebuilding again?

I live very near to Hinckley but am a little short on time at the moment - though may be able to fit in a visit on Sunday to have a look at it if that'd be any good for you?

Jim that would be so useful..Would help me out so much! How does the car sound to you from my description (ignoring the visual mods)? Do you think its actually worth looking at?

Is this the one that's basically not got tax or an MOT so a road test will be impossible?

It does sound worth a look but, as I say, only if you can get it for a very good price... but impossible to say whether it'll be any good until I go look at it.

Is it only me that thinks that nugget is horrendously overpriced at £1500? Or did I just get an absolute screaming bargain when I bought my VR?

How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking? There are quite a few less G60s selling than the VRs, maybe that's why sellers are asking more for them.

How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking? There are quite a few less G60s selling than the VRs, maybe that's why sellers are asking more for them.

G60's are worth more than VR's at the moment - getting much harder to get hold of good ones!

I paid £1800 last summer. It's in above average condition, 139k, loads and loads of history, years tax & MOT, what I would call "all the right bits" and the only thing that needed attention was the sunroof (which was sorted with a new motor) and I refurbed the wheels.

G60's are worth more than VR's at the moment - getting much harder to get hold of good ones!

Really? When I was looking for mine last year they seemed to be pretty much on a par from what I could see. Which is surprising considering how much more awesome VRs are :D

G60's have the rarity factor though... they're older, they made less and more have been destroyed through poorly executed attempts at modification meaning good unmolested ones are really not a common sight!