OSV

OSV Old Stationwagen Volvo

I drop in on the forum daily for my fix but as a former owner I am no longer an active contributor. It's great to see the cars and love for model but must confess I am enjoying the freedom from 'enthusiastic ownership' that my replacement vehicle has brought.

The brief was cheap, economical, large, comfortable and estate. Having considered the obvious German offerings I felt the 'need for Swede' and went for a Volvo.

I have no intention of getting over involved and won't be joining up on a forum or striving for perfection. Any way it's a Phantom Black Volvo V70 D5 Sport. The car is a 2004 with manual gearbox, it has black heated leather, dual climate, cruise, the engine is a 2.4 diesel turbo 5 pot and there's bags of space.

It's got a towbar, roof rails for bicycle racks and is pretty nippy too. A style statement it is not but I must say it is really easy to live with everyday and just what I needed.

image_zps90f874b3.jpg

image_zpsb7cd0fc7.jpg

image_zps693c81f8.jpg

Coincidentally, was speaking to a friend this weekend about this Gareth and apparently that 2.4 5 pot diesel can be remapped with quite ridiculous gains to be had.. :)

Looks like a great family barge though!

I know what you mean mate, owning an old car becomes as obsession that is not healthy at times. Yesterday I went out in my Corrado and all the tiny niggles just left me depressed, I didn't enjoy driving it and started to wish I hadn't bought it :(

Then I drove my 59 plate Octavia VRS which is the TSI engine stage 2 mapped (around 270-280bhp) plus H&R suspension mods, roll bars and other bits, it drives beutifully and would destroy the Corrado in a race. Even in the twisties I think, plus never needs any of my attention.

But then this AM I saw the corrado parked in the garage and had to smile......f*cking thing

Good buy! Was after a short term daily last summer while the Corrado was being fixed up and picked up this:

2012-09-06191148.jpg

2000 V40 1.8, 157k, most service history and fresh T&T for £600

Was initially going to keep it for a couple of months but it has been surprisingly good I think I will run it into the ground. Might not be as luxurious as a V70, but makes for a good hack!

Nick

I totally understand how nice it is to have a car that doesn't pull at the heart strings..

Am glad you have found something you are happy with. BMW still present as well?

Gareth, good to see the plate fits! I tried the 'larger sensible car thing' with little success and have found that living without 6 cylinders is difficult! I suppose 5 is a good compromise. The big V looks good and does do what you were looking for, should have kept my old A4 turbo! Cheers, Dave

Looks great and when you do the wheels and paint correction it`ll be a very nice daily hack..!!!

Looks great and when you do the wheels and paint correction it`ll be a very nice daily hack..!!!

For heavens sake Andy don't tease! We don't want Gareth having the 'most buffed' station wagon in the forest.

For heavens sake Andy don't tease! We don't want Gareth having the 'most buffed' station wagon in the forest.

Hard habit to break....lol plus i`ve got new compound to test out on the hard volvo paint...