RadoVirgin

VR6/R32 engine and vr6 gearbox.

Hi all, my 2.9 engine is on its last legs and my gearbox in whining (louder than my wife) in first gear and its time to find a replacement!

What I'm looking for is a good condition engine and gearbox that has a verified mileage and condition. I'm not limiting myself to what type, it could be supercharged, turbocharged, 12v or 24v. I've tried the usual eBay route but everything I've looked at seems to be vague in description and has no evidence on condition.

I have cash waiting but I'm not willing to say how much at the moment. I'm steadily rebuilding my car from the ground up and to be honest I'm not in any rush but if the right engine/gearbox combination comes available then I will buy it.

I'm based near Portsmouth and would prefer to view items before purchase but I'm willing to travel a fair distance for the right item.

you could get the 3.0 short block and forged pistons, and rebuilt head from the classified. That would be an almost bullet proof 12V setup.

Yeah that was what I was going to do until I bought this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181088457345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The head and block have documented mileage and it has a piper 264 cam so I think I got a bit of a bargain. I'm going to use it as a short term solution but fit new chains, gaskets and water pump etc. I'm going to strip my 2.9 and keep the pistons in case the 2.8 needs a rebore in the future.

I am still in the market for a verified low mileage gearbox but if one doesn't appear I'm gonna get a full rebuild on mine.