FenderSi

Help - my key doesn't turn the car on!! Ignition barrel issue??

Hi,

I've recently been out of the country for a while and I left the car sitting on the drive without the battery in it. I've just put the battery back in and everything was looking good. Alarm all works fine, lights all come up on the dash when you turn the first click of the key, but when I turn it again to start the engine it does nothing... The oil light flashes on the dash as it's supposed to, the alarm light comes on and stays solid as it's supposed to, but nothing else happens. I've tried wiggling the key and I've taken the plastics off to pull out and reconnect the ignition's power. Nothing seems to help. Neither of the two key's I have do anything, so I know it's not that... Any help please?!!

Low battery? not enough to turn it over. Tried jumping it? Can you hear a clicking from the engine bay?

does the starter motor relay click? When you turn the key do the lights fade and the ventilation fan slow down? if so, it could be an immobiliser issue. Get it on VCDS if you can.

Silly question, but is the battery fully charged?

Have you tried putting the key in some sexy linergie ? Could be a dead romance !!

Seriously tho it sounds like egnition switch , have you tried goving the key a wobble while trying to start it , sometimes my old one used to do it and if you wobbled it it made a connection

The battery is defo not the issue. It's been on charge and all the lights are nice and bright. No click from the engine bay as far as I can tell. Just found out my old man gave it a try whille I was away and it started once when he wiggled the key. Think it must be the barrel. How easy is that to replace? Likely costs going to be big? Are VW about to rape my wallet? Thanks for the help guys!

The battery is defo not the issue. It's been on charge and all the lights are nice and bright. No click from the engine bay as far as I can tell. Just found out my old man gave it a try whille I was away and it started once when he wiggled the key. Think it must be the barrel. How easy is that to replace? Likely costs going to be big? Are VW about to rape my wallet? Thanks for the help guys!

i wouldnt rule the battery out completley, if you have another battery in a car that you can try then do it, i recently fully charged my friends battery which hadnt been used for over a year , all the lights were on showing it was good to go , how ever it couldnt turn the starter over, put my battery in to test it and fired straight away,

Thanks guys, I tried hooking up another battery and jump starting it. Still nothing so I've gone and got the ignition switch. Sounds like fun fitting it, going to have to wait for the rain to stop first. Cheers for the wiki link. Should prove invaluable. Hopefully I'll have a car that actually turns on and goes again soon!

Awesome guys, thanks very much. Took me about 30minutes, easy to replace. Had to bend a little screwdriver to get out the holding screw, but it wasn't too hard to get out. Car is back on the road for the first time in months!! Lovely.