Michael'durham'

Leaked battery from previous owner :(

Hi guys,

Thought I'd put this as a mini build thread, it also shows how much damage a battery can do to the tray with just a little acid.

I purchased the car last month and I've been very happy as the car had been garaged for most of its life and looked after with a lot of vw dealer receipts, even for tyres from dealer. the car was let down only really by a previously leaked battery. As a secure battery is a must for MOT it's an unavoidable job.

[ATTACH]72695[/ATTACH]

As seen in the picture I had previously treated the area to protect the rust setting in with a little grey rust spray, then using a angle grinder separate sections were cut away, and some galvanised sheet cut to the separate sections after a little shaping in a vice. We spot welded each sheet on a corner and pushed, shaped to fit each of the areas using a Mig welder. The last small job was to drill a new fixing and welding a large nut onto a newly drilled hole for a battery clap seemed the best option.

It's a very nice and neat job and I'm so happy the damage was only to the to area of the battery tray/inner wing. Lastly I coated the area with a little more grey protection.

Job Done.

Nice work there...Is it worth getting some Battery Acid Absorbing Mat. I have seen them in Halfords before.

Nice work there...Is it worth getting some Battery Acid Absorbing Mat. I have seen them in Halfords before.

I don't know not seen them before, what acctually causes a battery to leak in the first place.

I'm just loving that I purchased the car with 12mths test, and this was the battery tray.... I'm happy this had been the only major issue to correct.

Not sure 100 percent sure why a battery would leak. Maybe overcharging by the alternator if it does happen again with a new battery installed. Could be just an old battery wear and tear and just need replacing.

The battery absorbing matts are yellow from Halfords in the battery section.