edd

1 week in new windscreen required

Well the new (week old to me) VR is driving beautifully; it is however not very good at avoiding bouncing rocks.

Now have a crack halfway across my windscreen. sad face

Question is i am very hesitant to let anyone fix this screen being well aware of the difficulties and inherent problems with removal/fitting of the Corrado's windscreen, the mob handed nature of some window fitters and the fact that the windscreens seals are now discontinued from VW.

I popped to my body shop today to get a quote for some paint work up and he informed me they have a very good guy who does their windscreen removals and refitting for their windows out resprays. I think i may get him to take out and put a new one in whilst the car is at the body shop; that way if there is any rust under the screen it can be repaired/treated before the new one goes in (plus i know the due care will be taken with the new one..)

I am prepared to avoid the insurance route on the basis that i can't be arsed to explain to them why i am doing it this way and why i need it done right and locally

So here is the question..

Where do i buy a wholesale new screen, everywhere i look it is supply and fit not just supply.

Through the forums experiance is any glass manufacturer recommended over another?! I also currently have a green top tint that i would like to have on the replacement.

Edd

There is no reason you cant have the best of both worlds mate. Ask mr window man if he does insurance work and get him to charge the work back to them. Thats what I did :)

I have a crack just spreading nicely 4inch. :( thanks probably to the gritters spreading a billion tons of salt & grit on the roads,so could do with some advice on this also

The op mentions doing it in the bodyshop incase there is rust. This I would recommend too as the screen could be hiding rusty nastyness!

I can't really comment there mate as I dont know any different. I read on here that "dealer screens" are obsolete now but my fitter told me that mine was the last of the run but another batch was on order at vw. There are horror stories on here about screens being fitted badly so do a bit of research ;)

ive found 2 well respected people to fit, but no screen as yet.... may see if insurance will foot up cost of new screen only.

and be prepared for and expensive time i enquired about a new screen for mine and was to;d If they can get them they afre in the region of £300 i find it hard to believe and some insurance companies will up the excess if you need to claim ( personally cant see how they can do that)or did i just find a bad window fitting company

and be prepared for and expensive time i enquired about a new screen for mine and was to;d If they can get them they afre in the region of £300 i find it hard to believe and some insurance companies will up the excess if you need to claim ( personally cant see how they can do that)or did i just find a bad window fitting company

I got my front and rear screen replaced on a previous car (New mini) at renewal time i changed insurance companies and as i am always honest with insurance companies told them about the screen replacement i was told they would only look to charging more if i had 4 or more screen's replaced in a year insurance companies i have also just received my renewal quote from adrian flux £500 one short phone call later after informing them i was a ccgb member blah blah £350 all mod's declared like for like replacement and agreed value they think you will just pay phoning them again on monday to see if we can get it down to £300:)

try chris knotts he blasted most other companies i spoke to iut of the water and beat the lowest by fiftenn quid, mention the ccgb and ears start to twitch lol he was also the cheapest on my golf

Well the new (week old to me) VR is driving beautifully; it is however not very good at avoiding bouncing rocks.

Now have a crack halfway across my windscreen. sad face

Question is i am very hesitant to let anyone fix this screen being well aware of the difficulties and inherent problems with removal/fitting of the Corrado's windscreen, the mob handed nature of some window fitters and the fact that the windscreens seals are now discontinued from VW.

I popped to my body shop today to get a quote for some paint work up and he informed me they have a very good guy who does their windscreen removals and refitting for their windows out resprays. I think i may get him to take out and put a new one in whilst the car is at the body shop; that way if there is any rust under the screen it can be repaired/treated before the new one goes in (plus i know the due care will be taken with the new one..)

I am prepared to avoid the insurance route on the basis that i can't be arsed to explain to them why i am doing it this way and why i need it done right and locally

So here is the question..

Where do i buy a wholesale new screen, everywhere i look it is supply and fit not just supply.

Through the forums experiance is any glass manufacturer recommended over another?! I also currently have a green top tint that i would like to have on the replacement.

Edd

Hi Edd, i have got a brand new screen & the 2 part rubber trims for the surround.

It was sourced through a windscreen guy who was local to me & is the direct replacement for the original. The glass manufacturer is Pilkington.

I bought this to fit into my Vr as it was undergoing a full respray but have never got around to finishing it so i've had this screen now for well over a year infact it is still in safe storage at the guys unit .

At the moment i'm stuck & can't quite make my mind up whether to try & sell the whole car as an unfinished project inc the new screen or break it down for parts & sell the screen & trims seperately.

If i was to sell the screen & trims i'd be wanting to recoup a majority of my outlay which if memory serves me correct was around £300.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Adi

Ok mate il come back to you,

Just had my golf towed in London yesterday as i didn't see the pay and display spaces had been removed from use for the week so have just had to fork out £300 to get my car back. *******s. Just need to look at funds!

Where are you based

Cheers

Edd