maff

How much g12/13 to use in coolant refill?

I'm going to be flushing and refilling my coolant pretty soon and having been away from vr6 tinkering for a while the last coolant I used was the g12 stuff, is it ok to use the g13 and how many bottles do I need for the correct mixture ratio?

Also is undoing the bottom rad house the beat way to do a full drain down?

cheers Matt.

35 - 50%

If it's a VR6 (manual) then you need 2 x 1.5Ltr Bottles of G13

Bottom Rad hose is ok but there is a drain plug on this engine

i use a whole bottle of the coolant and then use the same bottle to add a bottle and a half of water (all mixed in a big container) I just keep the container topped up as i seem to get through lots of coolant (must fix that leak, and pray its not the headgasket)

Cheers guys, i seemed to remember the coolant not being cheap either?? and er.. where is this drain plug, new one on me?

I always use a 50/50 mix, premix it in a spare bottle, I also now always use a bottle of spring water etc and not tap as it will be softer and not full of limescale etc.

It is worth using 50/50 as that is the top end that VAG recommend for UK use and keep in mind that G12 etc also act as a corrosion inhibiter and looses its strength over time.

When I did mine I just drained from the bottom radiator house. The coolant drain plug is on the crack pipe. I did not attempt to drain from here because you could damage the plastic pipe in the process if not careful.

***Does anyone know also how often a coolant change should be carried out ?