Orpheus

Radiator Top Hose - any idea?

Hi

Any idea where to get a radiator top hose for a 1990 1.8 16v? I know the part is offcially unavailable.

Also, is the part common to any other VWs? If I knew that then I could widen the search.

Thanks.

Part no 191 121 101AC fitted to KR and 9a engines ie 1.8 and 2l engines inc Golf 2 GTI. A very quick look on the internet: dont see any new in UK but available in US. Should be able to find a used one.

If I was looking for one I would measure up the one on the car and visit the local scrap yard and see if any other vw/audi/seat etc had a similar hose. If you find one with same diameter, it may be possible to buy it new and cut to length if you don't want a used one. Its a pretty straight hose so I would have thought easy to achieve a suitable substitute.

However I'd be surprised if there are not lots of used ones which will be offered to you on the forum.

Edit

191 121 101P is fitted to the 2l 8v corrado and looks similar (ie fairly straight/right length, maybe same diam??????) Its in the link below. Maybe someone else knows if it fits.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADIATOR-HOSES-TOP-BOTTOM-NEW-FOR-VW-GOLF-JETTA-MK2-1-6-CORRADO-2-0-NO-AIR-CON-/390560483134?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item5aef38073e

Edited by bmwcompact

Hi

Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked is that I've seen some replies before suggesting there's no compatibility on these hoses between Corrados.

And here (veedubmnachine on Ebay) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADIATOR-HOSES-TOP-BOTTOM-NEW-FOR-VW-GOLF-JETTA-MK2-1-6-CORRADO-2-0-NO-AIR-CON-/390560483134?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item5aef38073e

- they're selling a radiator top hose for a 2.0 Corrado but you can input info to do a compatibilty test for a 1.8 and it says 'not compatible'.

So I've also put feelers out in the 'wanted' section.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 6:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:21 PM ----------

Hi

bmwcompact, thanks for that - well, as I was typing my reply you must have been updating yours with exactly the same information!

I agree with you that you would think that the 2.0 top hose might fit the 1.8, but the compatibility test on that Ebay ad says it doesn't, so... maybe they're different diameters.

Be interested to know if anyone knows if there is any other hose that's compatible?..

Had a quick look at my car (9A) and thought its possible the dipstick might get in the way with the 8v one? I often find the compatibility tests are wrong, as are general listings. They go both ways-they say it wont fit and it does and more often, they say it fits and its the wrong part!!

• Like 1

Well thanks for looking, appreciate it.

But mine's a 1.8 16v, by the way - not a 2.0 8v. So there might be diameter differences between to 1.8 hose and the 2.0.

I think I'll have to measure the diameter of mine and then compare it to the diameter of the 2.0 hose that's advertised on Ebay.

Well, I contacted someone on the forum that was breaking a 1.8 and luckily he had one, so I've bought that. Which means, unfortunately, that I didn't learn anymore about the possible compatibility between hoses on a 1.8 and a 2.0.

I guess it's a difficult one to know unless someone has already attempted the swop, or unless someone with (or with access to) both types of Corrado does a comparison. Would the Bentley Corrado manuals throw up any more information on how similar or not the parts are?

And thanks for the help.

I've an 8v and 16v, don't think they will swap as the head outlet isn't the same although the rad is identical, but I might be wrong, will check tomorrow, I'm sure you can get pattern rubber hoses for the 16v gsf did them for a while an ive seen them on ebay, but if not then I'm sure you could get silicone hoses that would fit, elbows of the right diameter or a proper designed kit, I bought a full 16v samco set as it was cheaper than a couple of vag hoses at the time.

Volkswagen Heritage are starting to list these kind of parts, you might find it's similar to a Mk2 part more than a mk3 on an early model.

Sorry, not yet, had a stinking cold and been trying to stay indoors as much as possible, keep reminding me though :)