Roger Blassberg

Wipers running slowly or not at all

The wipers have decided to "go slow". Sometimes they get half way across the screen and stop especially if the screen is dry-ish, sometimes they behave normally. Is the motor the likely culprit? Is it a common Golf/Passat part? I Have the Lupo GTi blades conversion. I changed the intermittent relay on the fuse box with no improvement.

Best wishes

RB

Yes it'll be the motor. Mine does it with the TT wipers. Its because the better/newer spring in the arms hold the wipers more firmly against the screen and the motor struggles when the screen is dry - though doesnt always do it. A new motor may or may not help, if they're still available.

Hello RB,

yes it could be your wiper motor that is not man enough as it's old and wearing out,

you can get a similar symptom as that when the wiper stork is playing up.

Have you tried to help the wipers a long with your hand when they become stuck in the centre of the windscreen,

to see if there is any resistance from the motor it's self and not just from the dry screen you have.

It does sound as though your motor is dying so to speak.

I know the Golf MK3 shares a lot of bits with the later Corrados, like the wiper / indicator storks,

I'm not sure if the motor is the same though on the Golf and Passat of that decade ?

Si :thumbleft:

---------- Post added at 9:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:55 PM ----------

The wiper motor is available on Ebay from around £25.00 by the looks of it.

Si

I had exactly the same problem about 6 months after fitting TT wipers, mine was the wiper motor. Fitted a new VW one and it's been fine ever since. Was just over £100 tho with 10% discount so not cheap.

had same thing with nine, then they just stopped. motor was dead, demise was probably accelerated by lupo wipers but to be honest it'd done it's time. 25 quid febi motor seems to be doing fine now.

Had the same problem here, the motors are the same as a mk3 and pre 2001 mk4 golf, I got one from a scrappy for £10 and they're much more likely to be in good nick!

New Febi Bilstein motor fitted, and all is now well !

It's a simple enough job. While you have the wiper mechanism out, check the rivetted connections to the spindle housings for looseness. I drilled one out and replaced it with a suitable nut and bolt which really tightened the whole thing up. Also replaced the rubber grommet at the motor support bracket/scuttle connection. The wipers are now very good.

Best wishes

RB

New Febi Bilstein motor fitted, and all is now well !

It's a simple enough job. While you have the wiper mechanism out, check the rivetted connections to the spindle housings for looseness. I drilled one out and replaced it with a suitable nut and bolt which really tightened the whole thing up. Also replaced the rubber grommet at the motor support bracket/scuttle connection. The wipers are now very good.

Best wishes

RB

I greased the ball joints too as once the small arm popped off, whilst it was raining.... that was a fun drive home. :lol:

My rear wiper just started doing this today. It's a standard wiper arm and blade and it was really struggling. Is the rear wiper motor the same as the front? Cheers.

Got my replacement wiper motor fitted - just finished in fact - working wonderfully and up to speed. One thing though, although there's plenty of water coming out of the feeder pipe, it seems rather reluctant to come out of the washer jet! Boo Hoo Hoo. Checked for blockages etc etc and i can't see anything obvious. Anyone out there got any ideas at all? Thanks as always.

Hello mate yeah I've had that issue before with my rear washer jet,

it was the jet that was blocked up with dirt, I could blow through the jet and it seemed clear,

but still wouldn't let water pass through it when it was reconnected.

In the end had to use an air line at a mates garage to really unblock it,

if you do use an air line always blow the washer jet from the out side in (through the washer jet nozzle)

because other wise you could blow the jet ball nozzle out.

Hope this helps.

Si :thumbleft:

Hi there, thanks for this. Ill get a mate to have a look at it during the coming week. I've checked all the wiring as i originally thought it might be a bad connection or something as the wiper motor itself is working perfectly. Hopefully, it will be this and not something complicated.