VeeDub Geezer

2.0 16V 9A serious misfire. Running on two cylinders (1 & 4)

Hi guys,

Anyone help with this massive issue. The car is really starting to try my patience.

Basically, the Corrado has started sounding really rough. It's been running a little off for a while but this is now undriveable. I've done the usual checks of plugs (okay and all sparking), oil and water appear unmixed and ignition timing is correct.

It will sound odd when starting (difficult to describe, almost an on/off whine?) and then start okay-ish. Once running you can pull the HT lead from either cylinder 2 or 3 and it will not make a difference to the running. Remove 1 or 4 and the engine will cut out.

Had a recent brand new Bosch dizzy, brand new injectors, recent HT leads and recent service.

Any ideas guys? I'm lost. After putting a lot of money into the chassis last year I'd like to keep it going.

If it carries on like this Ill have to swap in the 2.8 VR6 from my slowly rotting Golf. Not ideal though!

Sure HT leads are good?? lots of cheap brands can last weeks and break down like this...

Dizzy - maybe faulty or rotor arm running off centre?

Maybe check dizzy is tight and timing then do a compression test.

Also the whine - maybe a vac leak??

Was just about to say leads.....do you have the proper tool for removing them? If you have removed them by just pulling the wire the insides can break, remove a plug from the faulting cylinders and test for a spark......

in my opinion id recommend a compression test on the cylinders, check if its head gasket.

id also check all ht leads are in the correct order this will also cause a missfire.

other people may have better solutions but im just letting you know what was wrong with mine when i had this issue.

no worries.. also im local if u need to check out my car and see any similarities let me know.

Timing is correct and HT leads appear okay. If I hold either lead 2 or 3 just above the plug you can hear the "put put" noise of it sparking.

Dizzy all looks okay. My main concern was the hall sender (I've had a few go already) but that all looks good and clean

Compression test is my next port of call. Maybe it's head gasket between 2 and 3 but not on an oil or water way? It doesn't overheat or use much water. (It uses some but no more than you'd expect of a 120k/21 year old car.)

You're sure the firing order is correct??

(just best to check the simple things first!)

I am 99.9% sure firing order is correct. I do one lead at a time when swapping dizzys (I've gotten plenty of practice thanks to those bloody hall senders!!) and I took extra care with this one being a brande new Bosch one (£££).

I will, however, re-check this evening when I get home.

Where did you buy the HT leads. I put some GSF leads on mine about 3 years ago (10,000 miles) and 2 of them failed last year. The leads themselves were ok, but the moulded section which connects to the spark plug had no electrical continuity on the 2 which failed.

I had something like this but on cylinders 1 & 2 on my Corrado,

it was the spark plugs, the plugs were firing intermittently,

as the centre of the two plugs was lose and was able to spin round inside the hex nut of the spark plug,

also they were letting combustion fumes through the plugs, hence reducing the compression.

The plugs in cylinders 3 & 4 were fine just faulty plugs in 1 & 2, these plugs were NGK only in the car for 4000 miles if that.

Replaced my plugs with a fresh new set and it's been A1.

Your issue sounds like faulty HT leads or head gasket gone between cylinders 2 & 3

Are you sure you have fuel to cylinders 2 & 3 as no fuel would course your issue as well.

Could also be burnt out valves in cylinders 2 & 3 but I wouldn't of thought so, as VW's normally have the toughened valves & valve seats as standard.

Si :thumbleft:

Was any work done before it started happening?

Take the sparks out 1 by 1 and connect them to their HT lead, rest it on something and turn the car over, they should spark. Don't rest it on something grounded, as that'll be where the spark happens, and you won't see it.

This is exactly the same problem I have almost exactly. Whine when starting then lumpy running. Had a compression test done today which showed very low compression on 3 and 4. Mechanic says it's probably the headgasket. Anybody know the cost of having this done? Would the blown head gasket cause the engine to run rich as I also have emissions issues and maybe this could solve everything. Otherwise I was just about to sell up and give up.

Hello Frankjetta,

it all depends on which garage you take your car to, to have the repair work done,

I think the average back street garage hourly rate is £39.00 to £50.00

or if you take it to the VW main dealer they could charge £90.00 to £100.00 per hour easily, if not more.

You should be able to have the head gasket replaced for a few hundred pounds,

but this really depends on what condition the cylinder head is in when they remove it.

I can't remember what the book time is to remove the head on a 16 valver or on the VR6,

but I've been able to remove the head on a 16 valver in 20 to 25 mins and a bit longer for the VR6.

The garage where you take it may charge 2 hours or more for labour,

for parts you may be looking at £100 or more (Head Gasket, Both Manifold Gaskets ?, New Head Bolts, New Anti Freeze, Valve Cover Gasket, Hose Clips, Various Sundries)

Make sure they use a genuine head gasket as they are better make, and the same goes for the manifold gaskets,

and always use the genuine valve cover gasket on the VR6

It would be a good idea as well to have the cylinder head crack tested once it's been removed,

but like I say it all depends on what they find when they remove the head.

Your fuel problem could be to do with the head gasket gone, as when the compression level is low your engine won't burn the fuel / air mixture correctly,

hence your engine running rich, or it could be that your Lambda Sensor has seen better days in which case it will run rich as the ECU,

won't be getting the correct information from the Lambda sensor.

Normally when these Lambda sensors go they course a slight misfire from the engine as it's running that bit richer

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 3rd May 2013 at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was 2nd May 2013 at 11:56 PM ----------

Hello Veedub Geezer,

I've got a cylinder head off a 2.0 16v (9a) which has done about 90,000 miles,

the head face is fairly true, the cams are not bad, and it has new lifters fitted in it.

I'm sure I had it crack tested and skimmed when I took the head off.

The head is at my mates workshop as he wanted a spare engine as he's got a kit car that he races,

but as of yet he hasn't used my old cylinder head,

I'm sure it's been at his workshop for the last 18 months or so.

I can send you some photo's of this head if you wanted.

The cylinder head I will sell for £85.00 O N O

the head I can send but will have to check cost with FedEx UK to you in Aylesbury,

cost of carriage will be £15.00 to £20.00 but like I say I'll have to check carriage cost.

Let me know mate if you are still looking for a head.