Jim Bowen

Still got coolant problems

Really not sure what is going on.

Just had a longer than normal journey in the corrado and during it the coolant light started flashing. I've been losing coolant, so thought i need to top it up again (doing it every 2days now)

But when i pulled over and took cap off the tank, air came rushing out and the coolant level rose back up to the right mark, meaning i didn't need to top it up.

When i am losing coolant i think its coming out the expansion tank overflow.

How do i bled air out the system in case its an airlock? Have done the running it with cap off thing already.

In the past I have drained the old coolant from the bottom radiator hose. Then topped up from the top radiator elbow first very slowly to avoid too much bubbles and gurgling. Once the radiator is full I put the radiator elbow back and started filling up from the Expansion tank very slowly without too much gurgling and didnt have any air lock problems doing it this method.

When running in with the cab off does the top and bottom radiator warm up at all ?

I think both pipes got warm yes.

Might be best to double check to make sure both pipes are warm...also when the engine is cold and you have topped up with the correct coolant level does it stay in its correct level ? or does it go down in level if left after a while.

Dont know if its worth draining the coolant into a bucket and refilling it again if it has been changed recently as not to waste it.

Edited by VWVW

I've done loads of draining it and filling it in the last few weeks :lol: Fitting various things hoping to cure it.

I can only think its the headgasket somehow, but with no other symptoms.

I reckon it's your head to matrix hose mate. Do you still run the coolant lines to the throttle body or have you T'd them off?

Inside said hose, where it turns into a T shaped bulge for the throttle body hose, is a plastic moulding that often cracks. I think there's some kind of little ball valve in there is as well. Anyway, that's what happened on mine once and it caused the gurgling noises you described. Air in the system basically, which the after run pump disturbs and you can hear it in the matrix.

If you've never replaced that hose, now would be a good time. People moan about how expensive it is, but now you know why. It's not just a peice of simple rubber ;)

Turn the heaters on full power and temp when you are running the car up to temp with the top cap off, and manually squeeze any of the hoses you can get to. The hose key is talking about does get very hot as it runs over the exhaust manifold. As said it's just there to run warm coolant through the throttle body so it doesn't stick closed in really cold weather. Mine was T'd off ages ago and hasn't presented any problems.

They are all samco hoses I have. The pipe from matrix to head is where I notice all the noise though.

I still have the two thin hoses to throttle body. They are connected up as original but using the samco stuff.

Did you remove the one way brass valve from your old coolant hose when changing to Samco?

Hose in question is : The one from back of head / throttle body to heater matrix.

Its the hard lump you feel in throttle coolant pipe about 2" in from end.

Cut it out and making sure not to confuse which way round to refit it into the samco hose.

Paul

No. Don't recall that bit at all.

Not got the old hoses either as it was a few years ago. :(

Do you reckon that could be the issue? Is there anything I can buy to do that job?

100% the issue id bet.

Had the same issue with mine.

---------- Post added at 6:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:36 PM ----------

Easiest thing would be to buy that hose from someone breaking a vr and cut it out.

Its same size as the internal of the coolant pipe, a case of inserting it and pushing it in slightly deeper than where it attaches to the throttle body

a2etu4eq.jpg

This is what it looks like

---------- Post added at 7:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:52 PM ----------

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?4470712-What-s-the-point-of-coolant-running-through-the-throttle-body

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?991266-VR6-Throttle-body-coolant-line-bypass

More info if you decide to block off / bypass

Good call on the brass valve WinchBietch. I forgot about that and yep, Samcos don't have that in as standard. I'm note sure if the VR6 kit comes with a fitting note about that or not?

In all of 10 years having VR's I've never known about this valve :) I recently got a Samco kit, and there's no note regarding this valve, and I've never fitted it to any of my previous VR's when having samcos either

No note with my Samco kit either, but then Amber didn't really know what hoses did what in all truth.

I fitted the samco's and blead system, no problem i thought.

I had all the dash undertrays out still from wiring jobs by the way

The next day turn on the ignition and you could hear gurgling for about 10 seconds from heater matrix area.

Blead system - again a few times incase i had an air lock - Same result..

I ended up trolling through the internet till i stumbled apon a thread about the brass valve, located it in a old knackered hose i had - fitted it and car is cured..

In all truth i doubt i would have heard the gurgling so well without lower dash area all stripped out.

Almost worth making a permanent thread post for all the people using after market hoses..

In all of 10 years having VR's I've never known about this valve :) I recently got a Samco kit, and there's no note regarding this valve, and I've never fitted it to any of my previous VR's when having samcos either

That's a bit of a worry!!

This has just made me wonder now, since I fitted the samco hoses I also have a loud gurgling noise when I switch the ignition on, I replaced the pipe with the valve in a few weeks before I purchased the samco's so I have a valve in there, not sure if I still have the split old pipe I can cut the valve out of though. If I can find the old pipe I will try this and see if it sorts the gurgling out??

It would be interesting to find out. As I'm sure my coolant gauge has read low since fitting the rad, samcos and aux pump.

Back then I just thought it was cooling better due to my cool new shiny parts

Good shout Winchbietch..

I've recently purchased a set of aftermarket hoses & immediatley realised that the new hose didn't have this bulge as per the original.

Being curious i investigated further & having cut the old pipe open found the brass valve in question. It got thrown to 1 side without realising it's importance until reading this thread & after searching high & low for it today i realised it's lost :(

I do have another 2 of these hoses kicking around somewhere so i guess i had better keep 1 to butcher for my new hose.

I'm open to sensible offers guys