Redfox

Broken Sunroof mech

Hi all,

While driving today, I was moving (opening ) the sunroof, and heard a loud "dang". Sunroof can open, but not close. It can only close at the right side. So off with the sunroof, and I can see a broken metalpart (see picture).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73487[/ATTACH]

I looked at Etka, but cannot determine what part it is.

And neither "Classic parts" nor Arz ( see:http://www.arz-tuning.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4875_Reperatursatz-fuer-Fuehrung-Stahlschiebedach-vorne-links-Corrado-Passat-35i.html) seems to have that part, or maybe I am mistaken?

What do you guys do?

And if there is someone who have this part, I am willing to pay sick overprice to get it. Eventually the whole kit or the whole sunroof mech complete.

Maybe it's time for someone with a lathe etc, to produce a bunch of these?

For example, is it possible to weld or something else to the old broken part?

Cheers,

Redfox ;)

Edited by Redfox

What happened ti mine is that out of the 6 mechanical part sets that vw sell, the left side middle one etka page 182-20, part 26, part no. 1H0 898 014A for left side, broke off the tip. And on the inner side of thet betal tip is the wire...

So, the wirepull/push works, but the mech does not follow, and the sunroof closes at the right side, but get's stuck in a very nasty angle on the left side. So don't do that.

What you can do to drive (in the rain), while you get the part, is to wind it back (with electrical button) a bit at a time, followed by gently pushing with a small screwdriver on the tap in the middle of the metal part from which the tip broke off. Repeat that a few times, and the sunroof closes just fine.

I tried to glue it, to weld it etc, but it broke right off again, so new parts is a must.

It appears that a Mk. 1 Octavia mech may, just may, fit. I did not try that yet, as new parts is now in my hand ;)

Hope it helps when it happens to you guys.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Hi Chris,

Yeah, I know that. Mine was the same, until it broke completely a couple of days ago.

What i found out by looking at it last Summer was, that there are 3 mech. assemblies on each side, a front, a middle and a rear one. And I noticed that when the sliding does not work or jams, and people get their roof paint destroyed, it's sometimes because the rear mech on eother one or both sides does not engage propperly. There is an arm, like a small hook, with a small rubber ring at it's rear, that have to engage a clutch. If this does not happen, the roof cannot slide. or at least slides badly. I think I took a few shots of it last Summer in my thread: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?57481-The-Rising&p=942267#post942267

Maybe you want to have a look at that.

I hope for good weather in the weekend, so I can take out the whole sunroof mech asone unit, and I will report back in my thread what I have found and if this or that helped.

btw. sometimes the little rubber ring I mentioned is either lost or have to be turned a bit, to make it slide again propperly. But that is a temporary soloution. You will have to install a new part.

Also, there is a black sliding plastic part (the front one) on each side, that can break a thin leg. This also blocks the sunroof.

I will report back and take som snapshots of the offending parts of the mech.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Does anyone know the specific grease that vw uses for the sunroof? Maybea number, so I can order it?