Sign in to follow this  
muskie

best mods for

hi guys, im new so hi to you all.

1993 2 litre 16v c, completely standard absolutly no mods done. what is the best way to spend around £500-600 on performance mods engine wise already bought suspension. i know its not a great deal to spend on engine mods but thats all i have at the mo. there must be "the usual" stuff to do. any advice apreciated.

kr cams

4 branch manifold

good service

This will make your car really good...and put you in a good position when you next have cash to spend.

HTH

Hi mate, drill the airbox & fit a K&N.. Welcome to the forum BTW..

Good to see another local here... :)

no need to drill the airbox (i know this works on the g60 and most n/a airboxes - not 100% sure what the 16v airboxes are like) there is this cone piece that is at the front of the airbox (it is a air inlet) that fits right up to the back of the headlight, you can remove the piece from the airbox (it should slide right out - may require a bit of force) then you can remove the plastic piece that mounts behind the headlight by removing a screw or two. once you do that, i reccomend getting a k&n drop in filter. that should only be $35 or so for the new airfilter and under an hour of labor.

now with all of the money you have left, get an exhaust system (i dont know if you guys are required to run a catalytic converter over there) if you are, get a high flow cat. and a cat back exhaust system. if you are not required to use one, get a straight pipe and the cat back exhaust system. that should be around $200-$375 for that. doing exhast stuff is easy and it doesnt take long to do like putting in cams would.

use the rest and get a good tune up from a shop, it always helps to have a nice tune up from a shop. or if you want you could get a diagnostics of your car to let you know the wear and tear on the car for future reference.

hope i could help.

doing exhast stuff is easy and it doesnt take long to do like putting in cams would

changing manifold & system on 16v engine vs changining inlet cam shaft.....

i know which i would rather do!

I'd spend some money on the brakes first.

A fluid change will probably be well overdue. Maybe some new front disks and Pads (Pagid/Pagid fast road/EBC Greenstuff).

You could do an inlet cam for next to nothing, maybe 30 quid?

Some kind of panel filter, no preference personally. I have used all kinds in the past. K&N, Jetex etc IMHO they all do the same job.

An exhaust and if you are not into the environment a bypass pipe would see off the rest of your 500 notes.

All assuming that you can do it yourself.

Gavin

Oh and welcome.

Already done the brakes brembo discs, pagid fast road pads that was my first call as all the golfs i have had the brakes and shocks have always been bolloxed.

thinking that the cams and exhaust with a filter would be best, and probably do the head gasket at the same time(very slight hint of mayo).

when was the cat required for mot :?: i know my 92 mk3 golf gti didnt need it so i used a bypass pipe.

August 93 on I think for the cat.

Did you change the brake fluid as well when you did the brakes? You only need the inlet cam from the KR, the exhaust cam is the same.

I wouldn't pull the head off without doing some investigation. Do you do short journeys, less than 5 miles or so? That is a more likely cause. Is it using any water? Has the oil cooler/heat exchanger died?

Cheaper fixes than having the head apart unnecessarily(spelling?)

Gavin

i know for a fact that the car has only done short journeys during the last year of its life as it was used as a runabout by the last owner, and it isnt using water.......answers that then :wink:

havnt done fluid yet going to get goodridge hoses and do that at the same time. want to get hoses from the show at the weekend, what cam (part number ) do i need and how much should i expect to pay :?:

I'll look the part number up for you tomorrow if no one else does. I have bought them for 15-20 quid in the past.

With short journeys none of the condensation gets burnt off properly. A good run and oil change would cure that. Cost- loads less than a head gasket change :lol:

Gavin

i have a pair...the exhaust cam is slightly milder on the 9A so there is some benefit to changing.......but the big difference comes from the inlet.

£60, and I will give them to you in person at the weekend. Hows that?

i have a pair...the exhaust cam is slightly milder on the 9A so there is some benefit to changing.......but the big difference comes from the inlet.

£60, and I will give them to you in person at the weekend. Hows that?

sounds tempting are they used or new, is the change noticeable? i asume the car will still run fine with this mod without changing the fueling

they are used, std shafts out of a 1.8 16v, so will run fine for normal driving.

There will be no other mods needed to go with this...you will notice that the kick you get at 4.5k just now....will be a good bit harder with the KR cams in.

TBH they are my mates...will check he hasnt sold them...and that he can get em from storage before friday if he still has them.

muskie,

If you don't have them mate, I will......please :wink:

andycowuk,

If he doesn't have them mate, I will......please :wink:

You only need to change the inlet cam as the exhaust cam is the same!! I have one in the forsale section and a k&n panel filter :D

You only need to change the inlet cam as the exhaust cam is the same!! I have one in the forsale section and a k&n panel filter

nope - wrong.

but the difference made from the exhaust cam is less than that of the inlet cam, so alot of people only change one.

Out of idle curiosity I just checked ETKA and it gives 027 109 021AH as the KR inlet cam and 027 109 021AL as the one for the 9A. The exhaust cams ARE the same 027 109 022G.

The ABF MK3 16V has different cams again. 051 109 021B for the inlet and 051 109 022B for the exhaust.

Tha main reason for fitting both that I can think of is that most Corrados have the rounded teeth on the chainwheels, where the Golfs have more pointed ones. Not a top idea to have one of each kind fitted.

Gavin :wink:

Out of idle curiosity I just checked ETKA and it gives 027 109 021AH as the KR inlet cam and 027 109 021AL as the one for the 9A. The exhaust cams ARE the same 027 109 022G.

The ABF MK3 16V has different cams again. 051 109 021B for the inlet and 051 109 022B for the exhaust.

Tha main reason for fitting both that I can think of is that most Corrados have the rounded teeth on the chainwheels, where the Golfs have more pointed ones. Not a top idea to have one of each kind fitted.

Gavin :wink:

got the cams now just gathering everything together then i will take the car of the road in winter and do all jobs together.