16VG60

Carbon Fibre Tailgate - Manufacture Process Begins

[ATTACH]73742[/ATTACH]

After years of campaigning, and with thanks to the guys at LWS Designs, the end of the long wait for a carbon fibre tailgate is finally in sight. Today at JMR we stripped the Corrado tailgate to be used for the mould. This will be delivered to LWS Designs this weekend, and the manufacture of the mould will begin. We hope to see product in the next 8 weeks, so if you are interested in making a purchase get in touch with LWS ASAP. The full carbon tailgates will retail at £650.00, but a special offer has been extended to the Forum / CCGB of £585.00. This is a superb price for a UK produced panel made to the highest standard.

Looks good - I wonder how the struts / lifters will cope - probably like having a new car!

That's just an old corrado tailgate btw. I thought it was the carbon one until I saw the rust lol.

Lol, yeah sorry I knew that - should have put 'sounds good'

I reckon a carbon one will make the boot opening time around 4000% faster!

[quote name=

I reckon a carbon one will make the boot opening time around 4000% faster![/quote]

lol you might even be able to wing footballs from the spoiler

Guys, don't get too carried away now, the text does say that the pic is of the donor tailgate for the mould manufacture. I'm having to reign in my excitement at the prospect of finally getting the carbon tailgate. But hey we are in progress now and only a few weeks to wait until my shiny new carbon tailgate arrived.

The struts on mine are new as I changed them before they went obsolete, so yer the gate probably will fly open as you say :-D. I will

Post pics as soon as I have the finnished item, but in the mean time will

Post up progress.

For additional (albeit small) weight saving will probably be able to switch to a single strut!

Entirely possible Jim, but might offend ones OCD requirement for symmetry. keep working on the ideas, but don't forget you need first and foremost a carbon fibre tailgate to play this game ;-)

Very interesting, and glad to see this is finally getting done. Is the idea with this that it takes the original glass, or will it be aimed at a plastic rear window?

The tailgate will be made to mimic the original. Buyers will have the choice of fitting the original glass screen or a Lexan type, but the tailgate will accept either. All carbon tailgates will be made to accept fitting of the electric rear spoiler. The number plate plinth will be fitted in the same way as the original. I have asked if LWS Design will offer a carbon number plate plinth, and they feel this should be ok to do. The only omission will be the rear wiper spindle hole. This feature is often deleted by many owners, and serves little function on the Corrado as the rear window is not prone to being obscured by spray due to its raked angle unlike the flat Golf rear screen. This having been said, it will still be possible to fit the rear wiper if individuals feel they must retain it. The tailgate will attach to the chassis via the original hinges, and will accept all the original fittings, ie lights, lock, gas rams. Happy to help with this info as I have been largely responsible for driving the proposal forward, but do contact Andrew at LWS Design to confirm specification and secure your order at the discounted Forum / CCGB offer price.

Cheers John - sounds like a great mod for anyone on the quest for lightness then.

Ref the spoiler. Given that LWS bought all the ex Performance Trim moulds, they therefore have the Corrado rear spoiler mould that was made to equip my Car accordingly. So in short LWS can supply the rear spoiler as well. My car will be up at Stanford Hall so if any of you want to see the carbon parts available from LWS ie bonnet, roof, rear spoiler this is the opportunity.

Have you worked out the weight difference yet? Not convinced it'll make a big difference unless, as you say, you go for a Lexan rear screen. I certainly wouldn't expect the boot to open '4000% faster', that glass is heavy!

As soon as I have fitted the first one produced to my car, the detail such as you ask will be made known. However, this panel in isolation is not intended to answer all the Corrados weight reduction issues. It will most certainly offer a lighter weight option, but moreover, it is configured to be part of a package along with roof and bonnet and other reduction measures. Including the use of Lexan replacements. Weight reduction Is not either to be considered the only advantage of carbon composite panels. This tailgate being added to the option list from LWS generates another repair panel for the ownership to acquire, and keep our cars alive with no more corrosion risk. I for one am delighted a manufacturer will embrace our requirements, and produce low volume parts where Volkswagen are failing the enthusiast. This in my book is reason to be grateful for whatever the gain might be, it is a win win scenario.