Ruggy

Possible Fuel Pump Problem

Looking for some advice on fuel pumps. I have a 8v Corrado and there is a constant whine from the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition. As I understand it, the fuel pump should stop whining as soon as it has pressurised the fuel system. Anybody any ideas?

Cheers

Depends how loud it is really. The fuel pump on my VR has whined quite loudly ever since I got it.. And that was three years ago. I would worry about it if you get running issues otherwise just drive it till the fuel pump packs in! :-)

Definitely getting running issues. Intermittently running like crap, feels like its getting held back is the best way I can describe it. I've replaced all the usual suspects: vacuum pipes, ecu temp sensor, cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner, new plugs, new air filter, cleaned out the throttle body, had a knock sensor relatively recently, new fuel filter. Can't think of many other things apart from the fuel pump, or the actual injectors.

Hello Ruggy,

yeah you should hear a wine from the fuel pump for 3 to 6 seconds when the ignition is switched on,

and then once the car starts up the fuel pump should be working until the cars engine is turned off.

It could well be your fuel pump that is starting to break down,

when these fuel pumps start to wine really loudly it is normally the first sign that they are going to fail.

Does your Corrado only play up when the fuel level is low in your tank ?

Or is it when you go over a bumpy road ?

Check your fuel relay is fitted ok,

and check the connection plug to the fuel pump is ok.

The only other thing that can course your slight under power issue,

is the Lambda Sensor which is fitted in the exhaust down pipe,

or in the front end of the Catalytic Converter.

This sensor measures the unburnt fuel deposits in the exhaust fumes,

and so when it fails can send the ECU in to limp mode,

which may dump extra fuel in to the engine via the injectors as it can't obtain a signal from the Lambda Sensor,

when this happens the car may feel slightly under power when you put your foot down,

plus there can be a small misfire from the engine due to the extra fuel as it's not needed.

You may be able to have the ECU scanned just in case it's holding a error code,

most vehicles have a orange engine light or a separate light for the Lambda Sensor which will come on to show there's a problem.

On my Corrado it only misfires slightly when the fuel tank is really low,

so I know I'll have to replace my fuel pump in the near future :(

Hope this helps.

Si :thumbleft:

Thanks for the info.

When the ignition is switched on the fuel pump whines but doesn't switch off at all after any amount of time, I've left ignition on for over 5 minutes and the pump still hasn't stopped whining.

It plays up with any level of petrol in the tank, I've checked the fuel pump relay no. 167 and it seems ok, warms up after a little running time.

The other issue apart fom the intermittent crap running is that when it's first started it can sometimes struggle to tick over, so apart from all the parts I've already replaced I'm left with only fuel pump or lambda I reckon.

Just getting sick of spending money on it at the moment!

I had similar problems ,changed the injectors because a couple of them were goosed.Noticed a vast improvement after this. ps paid £20 for set of 4,so worth a try

If they are the same as the mk3 Golf GTI 8v, I have a set at home you can have for postage mate (AGG engine). I removed them from the old lump when I replaced it due to oil cooler failure.

If they are the same as the mk3 Golf GTI 8v, I have a set at home you can have for postage mate (AGG engine). I removed them from the old lump when I replaced it due to oil cooler failure.

Thanks mate, as far as I know they are the same, I've got the ADY engine which is the same as the AGG as far as I know. Any chance you have the fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator that the injectors are attached to as well?

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Thanks mate, as far as I know they are the same, I've got the ADY engine which is the same as the AGG as far as I know. Any chance you have the fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator that the injectors are attached to as well?

I think I may well do actually, its in the boxes in the boot of the Rado at work, so I wont be able to get them out til Tuesday, but I'll get them straight in the post in the afternoon and let u know how much postage is if thats ok with u bud.

I think I may well do actually, its in the boxes in the boot of the Rado at work, so I wont be able to get them out til Tuesday, but I'll get them straight in the post in the afternoon and let u know how much postage is if thats ok with u bud.

That's spot on mate, thanks very much.

Don't suppose by some miracle you also have the fuel pump from the car as well?

No worries mate, let me know the postage price for the injectors etc on Tuesday and I'll send it straight over to you.

Thanks again.