Dr Forinor

Optima batteries

I am in need of a new battery for the Rado. I'm considering an Optima battery.

I know there have been a few here who have had one. Would you recommend it above the standard lead batteries? I'm not planning on having any excessive amount of speakers or amps in there so it's not for "ICE". I just want an ultra reliable heavy duty battery that will last me, "my" lifetime. Hopefully I will be taking my car to my grave ;)

If an Optima battery is the way to go, which one? They are expensive, I understand that, but if it will last me the next 25 years then it's a good investment. Another thing is, I'm looking at battery conditioners. So that's why I'd like to know about the battery before I buy a trickle charger as I understand the CTEKs won't work on Optima? Is that right? CTEKs are only lead-acid battery chargers?

Edited by Dr Forinor

Some Ctek's are fine - I have this one... test and charge which was about £100

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0%20TEST%20AND%20CHARGE

They're good batteries but not really any lighter and still expensive - I'd still be tempted to buy a Bosch from Halfords or ECP with a 5 year warranty or a standard VW dealer battery - if you keep it charged up (solar?) they should last a good 5-7 years.

I've heard good things about Odyssey?

The reason I'm being picky for just a battery is I don't want any issues in the future. Most likely only used in summer months, parked up during winter. And even then, in summer most probably only once every 2 weeks or so.

---------- Post added at 1:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:36 PM ----------

Googling has revealed that the general consensus now is Optima have went down in quality recently.

Edited by Dr Forinor

Odyssey are good but are expensive and impractical from a mounting POV.

Thing is though, they only have a 5 year warranty. Varta Silver Dynamic / Bosch Silver (same thing) also have a 5 year warranty. So common sense prevails here mate :D

As for chargers, I had a C-Tek and it was rubbish. It didn't like damp garages and it died after only 18 months. I've been using a standard Halfords charger for over 5 years now and it's been faultless.

My original C-Tek 3600 died after about 18months also, but I'm sure my garage wasn't damp.

Right, Halfords it is! Must be one of the very few times you would buy direct from Halfords and think it a better option....

Compare the prices mate. Varta Silver Dynamic 74AH from battery2u.co.uk vs Bosch Silver from Halfords or ECP. Varta are the OEM supplier so I tend to go with Battery2u option. They provide a great service.

That's the CTek I had and at first it started intermittantly not charging (had to press the buttons and / or disconnect and reconnect several times before it worked) and then just failed completely. The Halfords charger has a lot more guts behind it and charged quicker too.

These warranties, how do they work? What exactly is the warranty for?

The Halfords charger, which one you get? I'm thinking this one;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_858677_langId_-1_categoryId_255205#tab1

This Varta?

http://www.battery2u.co.uk/type-067-096-varta-car-batteries-E38-silver.aspx

Edited by Dr Forinor