VR6Nutt

Sensor Wiring Question

Hello -

After replacing my brittle wiring harness with a fine pre-owned model, I found that one of my connectors (not related) simply fell apart. I am sure this is due to the insane heat that VRs run at and the fact that the car has 345k on it so far. I know I can drop the front end simply enough - but dont have the time right now. So for the interim, can anyone tell me where the connector circled in red below goes to? It is the taped one, right next to the brown connector that goes to the front knock sensor:

IMG_20130506_174511_zps39543fac.jpg

Since I replaced the harness, the motor runs magnitudes better (at idle especially) as it was throwing 4311, 4312, 4313, 4314 codes (found a broken wire on the old harness).

Now to further add some frustration...and this is possibly related to the defective connector - but I have had an ages-old problem with the way the car runs. As long as I don't have the pedal mashed to the floor, it runs good. But when the pedal is mashed, power delivery seems to "cut off" :scratch: ...I have already swapped the TPS, O2, cleaned MAF, new CAT - but that made no difference. In the past this issue was very sporadic and would come and go. Now it is constant. I would like to get this issue resolved but unfortunately I do not have access to VAG-COM. Only blink codes - CEL is not illuminated presently. I even think it maybe a knock sensor causing a timing retard....but am unsure. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or ideas?

State-side regards,

Andy

Pretty sure its for the crank sensor mate. Trace the cable to the bottom front of the block, and its a small cylindrical sensor that the cable sits at a right angle to. The sensor where it joins the cable are notorious for breaking down and shorting causing non running. It generally happens when the engine gets hot, but its not uncommon to happen with the symptoms you describe.

I noticed that the brown connector goes to the knock sensor - correct?

I read this on another forum:

All 12v VR6 crank sensors are in the same place. Its on the front of the block, below the oil cooler, between the trany bell housing and the oil filter housing.

Its held in with a single 5/6mm allen cap head bolt.

Doesn't that sound like a knock sensor description? In a quick "feel" - the wire seems to follow the coolant pipe on the front of the block - thats as far as I got for now.

I noticed that the brown connector goes to the knock sensor - correct?

I read this on another forum:

All 12v VR6 crank sensors are in the same place. Its on the front of the block, below the oil cooler, between the trany bell housing and the oil filter housing.

Its held in with a single 5/6mm allen cap head bolt.

Doesn't that sound like a knock sensor description? In a quick "feel" - the wire seems to follow the coolant pipe on the front of the block - thats as far as I got for now.

In doing some searching around I cannot figure if its the crank sensor or the knock sensor. I could of sworn the brown connector goes to the sensor closest to the transmission.

I found this with a quick search:

EngineSpeedSensorLocation.jpg

So which is which? And is it possible to interchange the two sensors? Gonna have to take a better look at it.

I know this posts a little older but in that picture the green arrow is where the oil filter housing connects to, the yellow arrow the oil cooler and the red arrow is the crank shaft sensor.