ausgolfer

G60 oil and water temps all over the shop

Hey guys and gals.

So previously it seemed my G60 wasn't getting up to temp. Now, when stuck in traffic for 5mins(after already being warm) last night, the water was at 110 and the oil 118. Was around 18 degrees last night.

Is this normal??? Driving me insane. Not sure if it is actually the correct readout...seems to be as it goes up in traffic as you'd expect.

Edited by ausgolfer

Seems a little warm, does the rad fan cut in on both speeds as the temp rises? An infra red thermometer is handy for checking temps, the gun point and shoot type, you can diagnose blockages or partial blockages in radiators with one of those quite well.

I'll try and check out the fan operation cheers.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:47 AM ----------

Haven't been able to check the fan yet as its dark outside. But unbelievably I just noticed how tiny the standard G60 rad is..... My aussie spec mk2 radiator is nearly twice the size....

Anyway I'm sure given its cooler weather here, it'll be either fan switch or thermostat.

it's not the dimensions but the cooling efficiency that is important, genuine vw 4 cyl corrado rads are double cored, compared to a mk2 8v golf rad they have twice the number of cross tubes and are very efficient for the size, just don't confuse them with the same external size rad from an earlier mk2 golf which is the same length but half the number of cores. shouldn't be a problem for the G60 as I think the position of the inlets/outlets means it's a G60 specific fitment.

So after a 20 min drive home in traffic tonight, (similar temp to last night) and then left her running in the drive way another 10 mins....I couldn't get the oil above 96 degrees.....

Haha why won't it overheat when I want it too......the second I am out and about, in a vulnerable position, I bet it'll start to scare me....

PS I couldn't even get it hot enough to get the fan going stage two....well I don't think...

Edited by ausgolfer