JimyJonz

Horn doesn't work, apparently no wires from fuse box :-s

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right section but here goes. I've had my car in the garage to get some things done for my MOT and one of them was the horn not working. They've had it since Tuesday now trying to figure out what's wrong as it kept blowing the fuses, today I got a call saying there's no wires going from the fuse box to the horn. They've said they can't do it and I need to take it elsewhere to get it sorted, has anyone come across this before?

Cheers

Mitchell

Have you checked if there is 12V at the horn, when you press the switch?

If there is not 12V there, you will need to measure the voltage between a good ground and one of the terminals on the horn connector.

You could try and put 12V directly to the horns, to check if they are working okay.

Are you using a standard steering wheel, or after market one?

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I haven't even got the car back yet, I had it tested a week early to hopefully give me enough time to get anything done that was needed but as they couldn't start till this Tuesday and MOT ran out on Wednesday I'm in a bit of a annoying situation now without a roadworthy car or a garage that can fix it. I'm assuming they've done all that as they had everything else sorted on Tuesday and have been struggling with the horn since, what they said was that the horn has no wires at all going into it :-s So I'm trying to decide whether to attempt a rewire myself (my experience with car electronics goes about as far as fitting amps etc so I'm not too hopeful on that) or getting it booked in with a auto electrician right away. I work until 6 so getting it in anywhere is a pain, I've got parents picking it up so I'm toying about getting them to drop it straight to someone who can rewire the horn if needed. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm new to car problems in general. It's a standard wheel.

Thanks

Hello mate,

no I haven't had this horn issue on my car yet but have on other vehicles,

The fuse for the horn is fuse number 13,

plus also there might be a relay for the horn, this relay is next to the fuel pump relay,

the pump relay is the one on the bottom right of the fuse box, should have on it number 67,

then the one next to it on the left is normally for the horn, this should have number 53 on it.

Just a note I think the radiator cooling fan sensor switch is partly fused through fuse 13 as well.

The garage where you've taken it to if they've said that it keeps blowing the fuse then there must be a short somewhere.

There should really be wires to the fuse box I can't see that someone would have removed them,

unless the guys at that garage can't trace the wiring ??

The two horns on the Corrado's are normally under the battery tray bolted to a bracket behind the front bumper,

the wires to them I think are the (brown / black) this wire is the main wire from the horn relay to the horns, it's about 1.5mm thick,

plus there's a (brown) wire to the horn swith I think.

I believe there should be two wires to the horn switch on the steering wheel,

so when you press down the horn switch it completes the circut and sounds the horns.

Have a look at this link http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

once it opens up the page click then on the first top main website which will read as Central Electric 2 - A2Resource

it should show you the full lay out of the fuse box for the Corrado.

There is one big main wire loom which is attached to the steering column,

everything goes through this loom (Ignition switch, Indicator, main beam, wiper, MFA storks wires)

then once this large wirring loom reaches the fuse box it then branches off to multi coloured plugs on the back of the fuse box,

like I say if you open up that link you will see the lay out of the back of the fuse box.

The multi coloured plugs you want to be looking at are the steering column plugs,

which are on the bottom half on the back of the fuse box, on the left.

It should be the three red plugs, one 8 pin plug and two 10 pin plugs, these three red plugs are for the steering column wiring.

The horns should be wired in to the third red plug (10 pin plug) H1 on the link picture.

The horn relay I think is wired in to the fisrt red plug (10 pin plug) J or H2 on the link picture.

Hope this helps.

Si

Thanks, really informative post vw rule. As most of the technical stuff went over my head and after a little look around the car I decided it's beyond my abilities so took it to an auto electrician, good news it's all sorted and I've passed my MOT now :-) Thanks for your help, hopefully one day I can contribute a little more to the forum and help someone else!

Cheers

Mitchell

No worries mate, any time.

Glad you got it all working again.

BEEP BEEP

Si :thumbleft:

just realised my horn isnt working yesterday, so seeing this post is perfect timing. I will let you know what i find

Same here. Think its my horns though as I soaked them in a bucket of rust remover. Bought some new ones but not got round to fitting them yet.