smudge

Oil warning buzzer – need new clocks, help!!!

Had an oil warning light and buzzer intermittently for a while and changed a few things thanks to the forum (see below). It has become less intermittent!! and much more annoying!!!!

I booked it in with an auto electricians today in Aberdeen. They said (at 17:00 today) they have diagnosed it as the clocks and that some are still available from VW. VW can’t tell them without the part number. Before they take the clocks I wondered if anyone here knows if the part will be available. Don’t want to pay for them to take them out if I am going to have to get a second hand set?

Is it just me or is it stupid that with the reg. and chassis number that VW can’t tell you if they have the part! My car is a 1995 storm.

Stuff already done:

I checked the pressure (fine), changed the senders and checked the connections and wiring I can see. I also changed the oil pump (when serviced and adding the 28V aluminium sump) as was planning to keep the car forever and that part was becoming obsolete.

I have been thinking about selling my car I have had it for 10 years and spent in the last 4 years year over £10,000 on re spray, engine rebuild at Stealth, stainless system, brakes etc, etc. I stupidly drove a friends older 911 and have been having thoughts of a 911 or facelift boxster – my wife wouldn’t let me keep both :0)

I should have told them to take the clocks out and check as from what I have read here not a big job – any help appreciated need to call them in the morning.

I doubt that the dealers would have any clocks available but if they did I imagine they'd be very expensive.

Second hand clocks are fairly common though, I have two sets myself if you want a set? They are very easy to change, it can be done with the steering wheel still on or the wheel can be removed which is a 5 minute job if you've got the right tools.

Tom

Thanks for that - I might just get it back from them in the morning and go for a secondhand set. What it the story with the milage my car has done 115,000 miles the new (old) clocks will be different? Maybe I should go for new ones if I can get them 0 miles on the clocks with 2 carefull owners :0). I have all the old MOT's and have the service book so can prove the milage - might be a bit dodgy come next MOT?

Hey Tom how much for a set of clocks? and what is the milage out of interest.

Thanks again - Smudge

---------- Post added at 7:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:32 PM ----------

Just wondering how an Auto electrician can tell its the clocks without taking them out? Should be an interesting bill!!

There are authorised places that can match your current mileage (I believe you have to send them current MOT) if you send them a second hand set of clocks. I think that the garage is guessing though tbh, although there aren't many more steps you can take from what they've already done. At least a used set won't cost you too much, and it really is a 5 minute job. All you need is a posi screwdriver!

I had intermittent pressure alarms on my old valver, turned out to be the plastic baffle in the sump that clips to the oil pump pickup. One of the clips had snapped, causing the baffle to tilt slightly and occasionally starve the pickup slightly and set off the warning. Mine was happening in every situation though, (cold/warm/cornering/straight etc), whereas usually the situation it happens in points to a specific problem.

Thanks Sean - I have sent Tom a PM to try one of his spare clocks - fingers crossed that will fix it and get the milage sorted out.

Thanks for the milage correction info will google that and avoid any back street placed in Glasgow or Liverpool ;0) (I can say that have relatives in Glasgow!) Looking forward to getting this sorted!!

The only other thing I can think of is the ignition barrel. I did have a while where the engine would turn over and cut out. I cleaned the plug on the ignition barrel and been perfect ever since? Hopefully the clock though.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Right - just back from auto electricians. They did take the clocks out found a fault with them but forgot to write the part number and put them back in. They took it for a drive and the fault has cleared. I have just been for a 30 minute drive and all well!! I will get some clocks as definitely the cause but sounds like it was just a bad connection.

If I decide to sell whoever buys my car will be delighted I changed the senders, pump and sump at least someone will be happy :0)

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Edited by smudge