Hofmiester

Would like to speak to anyone who has done a Vortech VF9 install

Hi Matt,

I've managed to get hold of the charger but the kit is incomplete. Charger is new and comes with the mounting bracket, st1 pulley, new belt and oil feed lines but I can't find any instructions online and so I'm not sure what else is missing.

Looking at all the various forums it looks like people have run these in a number of ways and so I need a steer on what i need to get this going. I'm just going to stick to the stage 1 set up for now as I want reliability.

For example, in some images of the kit there is another bracket with a tensioner wheel on it, the kit I have doesn't have this and so I'm guessing I need it and need to source/fabricate it?

Also the is no intake pipe and while it looks easy enough to make this out of allow piping and silicone hoses, I'm not sure if I am supposed to have a Diverter valve as some pictures I've seen on line have one and some don't?

Any help you can give would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

Ron

I have.....

The V9F charger

The main bracket that bolts to the 3 belt tensioner holes

Double sided belt

3.2" pulley which is the 6psi one

All the attachments on the charger for the oil lines and the actual oil feed line but nothing else, I dont have the adapter to tap the oil filter housing for the oil feed.

I dont have any istrucitons and REALLY need these!

Some of the photos I've seen online show an extra idler pulley/bracket near the alternator, but then some photos I've seen of the kit dont have this and so I ahve no idea if I need this for stage 1 or if it is just part of the stage 2 kit?

[ATTACH]74313[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74314[/ATTACH]

I don't have any of the intake/boost pipes but I can probably make those if they are not available anymore. I have contacted VF but they are not much help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to get old girl back on the road!

Was this the charger off of VR6OC?

It is a good charger if looked after properly. Remember to clean the inlet oil filter to the charger every 3k miles.

The second of the two pictures you linked, this is for the V1/V2 charger. The V9 only has :

• The bracket that attaches to the charger, this also doubles up as the new ‘tensioner’

• The bracket that replaces the OEM belt tensioner

• The idle bracket that ensure enough belt wrap on the charger pulley. You may be able to get this from NS Racing, if not I can send you the measurements for the critical features.

Charger inlet: The VF Engineering plastic inlet pipe is a nicely made piece, you maybe able to get one from NS Racing.

Charger outlet: Again, the VF Engineering plastic outlet pipe is made for the charger and may also be available from NS racing. If not this is easily made up from a small amount of silicone hose and some aluminium tube.

Oil feed from the oil filter housing: The adapter will need to have a m10x1 male thread to fit into the housing, with the oil pressure switch mounted on the side and charger supply as the straight through connection. See pics attached.

Oil return line: This will need to return to the sump, just under the flange. There are several ways of fixing the return line to the sump pan.

• either punch and tap a thread in the sump

• drill and weld a union on

• or use a bulkhead fitting.

Bypass vale: This can be a standard 1.8T item fairly cheap on eBay or again VF engineering bypass vale, especially if your wish to up the boost in the future which i’m shore you will want to, boost gets addictive 

You will also need a small oil catch can. Have a look at the attached photos, let me know if you need any more pictures or info.

Matt

Matt, you are a legend! I was starting to sweat that maybe I had bought a load of junk that nobody knew how to install :)

I also has had a reply from James at 4 Seasons tuning in the US who managed to dig out the install instructions that come with the kit. Although they are for an OBD2 golf, they are close.

The VAG comunity is a truely awesome thing!

I dont have the bracket you have with the idler wheel on the end, I've been in touch with VF and they "think" they still have them in stock but want $200 for it plus shipping/tax etc

I'm sure you are a busy guy but if you did have some time to measure the key features of yours, that would be really great as looking at the photo, I'm sure I could make one.

The photo's you've sent have been really valuable as there are so many threads and pics on the web that it is almost impossible to tell what is the genuine kit for the Raddo.

At least now I know what is what.

A few more questions:

Belt - The belt that came with my kit is double sided, but in some picks online they are single sided. Can you tell me what yours is?

Pipes - Any chance you could photograph your intake pipes for me? These are mega bucks from VF and so I'm going to have to make them. As many shots as you can, and also of the pipes that come off them and show how they fit together.

Maf Clamp - Did you use the MAF clamp unit? some people say that this is no longer needed and companies like Stealth can map around this?

Oil feeds/drains - My charger has the big drain fitting at the bottom plus a long fitting with 2 connectors on the main body, and another connector next to the charger outlet.

y6etemyd.jpg

Feeling a bit less panicy now :) I bought the charger from a local garage that was going to fit it to a customers car but then the customer bailed and went VRT as they are after 300bhp+

Charger looks to be pretty much unused, no marks or dirt on/in it. Impeller spins without play or noise.

age7u5ug.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Hofmiester